The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4MG 3406B with a brakesaver. Stock flywheel is 8.5" bore. I want to put in a 10" bore flywheel for better clutch options. Haven't been able to find a flywheel with a 10" bore for a brakesaver engine. The brakesaver engine does not have the ring gear on the flywheel. Thank you for any information or ideas on this, thank you.

·
255 Posts
I did that when I had my 4mg.
What I did was take my flywheel to a machine shop. They machined the opening up to 10" and resurfaced it at same time.

You could also get a reman flywheel from cat for a E model.

Or go to truck salvage and pick up a E model flywheel and have it resurfaced.

Personally I'd just get yours machined then at least you know what u got and know it will work.

I did the same and installed a 2050 torque eaton easy pedal. Worked great!.

Don't forget to purchase the new style flywheel bolt washers. I think they are a bit thinner.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I have found that the 4W-4794 flywheel is what I need. Cat has one in Spokane, which is 1 day away for me. My truck has an aftermarket flywheel in it now that is pretty well used. Think I will go with the additional time and expense for the new flywheel. Most machine shops around here are 4-8 days out on work. Too much downtime. Thanks again.

·
255 Posts
Probley your best bet anyway. Going with new or reman if you can afford it is the way to go.

Make sure you ask cat about those washers.

Something about the bolts sticking out to far and could be a interference with some clutches.

·
2,824 Posts
Bolts and washers from an E with the big center, there is a difference in the head and washer both to allow clearance for the big springs.

Reactions: oldnotslow

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe the difference this change made. Put in a 4W-4794 flywheel with 10" bore and E model bolts & washers. That flywheel is for a brakesaver engine, otherwise use 4W-4797. Clutch has a lighter pedal and far smoother engagement. Makes hill starting at 105k far less exciting. Wish I had done it a long time ago. I would recommend spending the $800 on 10" bore flywheel to anyone still running the 8.5" bore pre 1996 flywheel.

·
255 Posts
Did you end up going with a genuine eaton 2050 easy pedal?

I love these clutches. Never had a problem and smooth engagement.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Genuine Eaton Easy Pedal 1850 lbft. Having trouble now with rear brake saver seal leaking. They decided to change because it looked moist. Might be going to Cat to be done right on their dime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts