The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that my pickup runs better when its cold outside and i was wondering if anybody knows of a way to fool the air temp sensor?.
Just a thaught.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
gues i should have added that it seems like the timing is more advanced when the weather is cooler. I can hear a deffinite difference and it feels more crisp. I can hear the change in the sound of the fuel knock when accelerating on a cold morning, after you start to give it some fuel the knock starts to quiet down. then after you get up to speed and take the load off of the engine you can hear what sound like a step (advance) in the timing.
Just wondering if I can trick the ECM in to make it run that way all the time by thinking that its always cold outside ?

·
3,533 Posts
You have to tell us what truck what year what motor what trans, the more information the better to give an opinion!
The engine will sound different when cold because the fuel knock from the uncontrolled burn is a lot bigger, the warmer it gets the amount of controlled burn rises, as the uncontrolled burn becomes less.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry. its a 99 24 valve with the 5 spd. in cold weather you can deffinatly hear the timing change while you're driving in the cold weather. I din't mean you can hear a change from hot to cold days, which you can hear that too but that isn't what I meant. If I recognise your user name correctly then you spend a fair amount of time in the heavy duty forum so the closest explanation I can give you is that it sounds like a 444 with STC. Under a light load it clatters a little louder from the advanced timing and as soon as you put some load on it you can clearly hear ir retard the timing. Just thaught there might be a sensor for the air intake that had some affect on the timing. And yes it does run a lot better on a cool damp morning my 3406 B and E are the same way. Thanx for the input guys:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts