The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have one of those tire pressure questions for you. I keep 65 PSI in my tires all the time. When I haul my 5th wheel, I am hauling about 15000 pounds and I would guess at 2600 to 3000 on the pin. Should I be adding more air when towing?

TIA

Joe

·
590 Posts
I do a lot of heavy towing, more on goosenecks, then 5th wheel's.. What ever my cold max tire pressure is on my duallies i run about 7/10 lbs less then the max.. Been working for years and no telling how many miles.. If you are an ocassional tow'er,short runs, i would think 65 would be ok..

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I do not have a Ford or a dually but I tow a fifth wheel toy hauler a bit and I keep 70 psi in my rears all the time.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
It depends on the tire and the size too. I run a slightly wider tire than the wheel and towing last year I nuked the rears in about 10K, which lead me to find a solution.

What I found was that I need to run 50 in the rear and 60 front. The way I figured it out was by running the truck over a scale, which showed the axle weight front to rear to be about the same. I started with the same pressure front and rear cold. After driving an hour in the heat of the day I stopped and checked pressures. The rears were about 8psi higher than the fronts. I adjusted, then drone more and repeated, finding I needed to drop the rears about 4psi more. After that trip I checked the cold pressures the next morning and the fronts were still 60, but the rears were just a hair under 50.

Different trucks and different loads will want different pressures, but know the weight balance and you can figure it out using the hot pressures.

·
26 Posts
JoeGA,

My 5er is 16k loaded and between 3200 and 3800 on pin. I have run the scales and looked at tire mfg's recommendations with axle load. At 65 degrees outside temperature and undriven "cold" mfg recommends 60 psi, at 90 degrees (but undriven "cold") add 5 to that so 65 is perfect for dually. Fronts need 70 loaded, 65 if empty, so I leave at 70. Again assuming Florida 90 degrees ambient, but undriven cold. Mgh does not suggest adding pressure to the above unless sustained over 85 mph.

Using my 3rd party tpms the drive wheels run a bit hotter than drive or 5er wheels. Sunny side makes a difference too .

Hey guys, I have one of those tire pressure questions for you. I keep 65 PSI in my tires all the time. When I haul my 5th wheel, I am hauling about 15000 pounds and I would guess at 2600 to 3000 on the pin. Should I be adding more air when towing?

TIA

Joe

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm running BF Goodrich Rugged Trail LT245/75R17's on this truck. The max pressure is 80 psi. I think I need to hit the scales and get the actual weights. I think I'll do that this weekend.

·
9 Posts
To answer your question Joe, no you should not add more air. I think the door pillar sticker states 65 pounds in rear duals. This would carry the rated rear axle weight.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. You're right Don, the door pillar says 65 pounds for all 6 tires. Thanks! Makes sense.

·
36 Posts
I tow a 14380 lb alpenlite and I have never towed with out 80 lbs in the rear tires. Never had a tire problem or usual tire wear on both duallys.
chevman :usflag

·
66 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm running BF Goodrich Rugged Trail LT245/75R17's on this truck. The max pressure is 80 psi. I think I need to hit the scales and get the actual weights. I think I'll do that this weekend.
I haul a cabover truck camper. Same tires as your rig. They lasted 80,000 miles before they started looking thin tread.
So I replaced the tires with the same OEM tires.
And I always run at 80 psi in all six tires.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haul a cabover truck camper. Same tires as your rig. They lasted 80,000 miles before they started looking thin tread.
So I replaced the tires with the same OEM tires.
And I always run at 80 psi in all six tires.
Thanks for the info. Was your camper on the truck for all of those 80,000 miles?

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The camper has been on for about 85% of the total miles driven.
We use it extensively and all the time.
Wow! I'll be sooo happy if I get that many miles out of my tires. Usually the OEM tires on trucks are only good for 35,000 miles or so. Right now, most of my miles are unloaded. However, I hope to be retired in 2 years and traveling with our 5th wheel camper more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts