The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a coolant filter help?

Had a new EGR valve & cooler installed last week of June (expensive!) Kept hearing the fan kick in high gear. Took to another shop (back where I bought the truck), 2nd week of July. This time I paid for a new oil cooler, and yes, another EGR cooler. I did get the old parts, and yes you can clearly see the sludge in the coolant portion of the oil cooler. Oh yeah, the truck is stock and has 114k miles on it.

Technician tells me that Ford has redesigned the oil cooler to reduce oil cooler problems. True or not? I don't know. Just looking at the cooler and how it integrates into the engine, I don't see what will prevent the sludge from collecting again. Nor do I see how flushing the coolant system will remove any coolant sediment that's settled in such a recess.

I've been reading that some are installing a coolant filter off of one of the heater hoses. What do you think? Will it work? Better than nothing?

At this point I've decided that the 100k coolant flush isn't nearly frequent enough.

Blue

·
0 Posts
It sure wouldn't hurt. If the 6L block is like the 7.3L block...the benefits of removing the casting sand from the block are enough to warrant getting a coolant filter.

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
It can't hurt anything, go for it. It's on my "to do" list.

·
Good on gas, hell on dzl
268 Posts
I say it mite be something worth looking in to. I talked with Loki Wolf last weekend, hes got a coolant filter on his truck. The install was pretty clean and looked fairly easy too. Just "T" into the heater hose, "T" into the overflow hose, and the filter housing mounts to the radiator support.
Im sure he'll be along with some more comments.
After he said something bout the first filter change having a pile of sand in it, Im considering doin the filter myself. As soon as I can get caught up with my other mods I need to install.

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
Ive been running one for 3 years now and my first 2 filters were nasty and the last one still had some stuff in it..

Reminds me that I think mine is due a change....

·
Good on gas, hell on dzl
268 Posts
How often should the coolant filter be changed??

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
I believe the first one should be changed after a few thousand miles, the second a little longer, etc, until you get the initial "gunk" out of the engine. Then just make it a regular change. You'll be able to feel the return hose while the engine is running, if it's cold then the filter's clogged and needs changing. Here's one such system with some pics of what you'll get out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installed a Dieselsite coolant filter at 10,000 miles, 35K now. Changed the first filter at 1,000 miles, tore it open and it had about a tablespoon full of sand and some sludge that was like toothpaste. Changed the 2nd filter after 3,000 miles and got about a teaspoonful of sand and more sludge. I've changed it twice since then but didn't tear them open. The Degas bottle doesn't have the 'coating' crud inside anymore either.

After seeing the sand and sludge it filtered out of the cooling system I definitely recommend the coolant filter.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Flopster843 said:
I believe the first one should be changed after a few thousand miles, the second a little longer, etc, until you get the initial "gunk" out of the engine. Then just make it a regular change. You'll be able to feel the return hose while the engine is running, if it's cold then the filter's clogged and needs changing. Here's one such system with some pics of what you'll get out.

Thanks for the link.:thanks:

This looks like a cheap and easy mod. I like cheap. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback! Apologies for the sabatical...issues. I'll be ordering that filter system and doing an install before I run over to Talladega for the October race!

Reactions: enigmasean

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
the down time and labor for people that dont work on their own trucks or have the time.. I think for that price its a great investment... save the water jackets from getting plugged. Nice and clean kit by the looks. :Thumbup:

·
38 Posts
bcarriveau said:
the down time and labor for people that dont work on their own trucks or have the time.. I think for that price its a great investment... save the water jackets from getting plugged. Nice and clean kit by the looks. :Thumbup:

Ok now its making sense:thanks:

·
Still kickin
670 Posts
Spuppy said:
Am I reading this right? you put on a $140, after shipping, filter system to protect a $120 water pump?? :shrug: :shrug:
Not just the water pump. Your EGR cooler and oil cooler both use coolant to operate. How much do those cost to replace when they plug?????

·
523 Posts
cool deal only $96 for my 7.3.. have to add that to the list, cheap insurance in the long run.

·
411 Posts
Flopster843 said:
Not just the water pump. Your EGR cooler and oil cooler both use coolant to operate. How much do those cost to replace when they plug?????
There's a pretty interesting thread on the TDS about a coolant filter perhaps reducing and/or eliminating EGR cooler problems due to removing the coolant sand/debris before it plugs up the EGR cooler.

Makes me glad I put a $120 coolant filter on my 6.0 at 40 miles old.

Al

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here are some pics of the coolant filter I just changed out on my dads truck. When I did the ARP studs and gaskets 5,000 miles ago I added a coolant filter from Dfuser and I drained and replaced all the coolant and all this junk still managed to be in there. Just wish I would have put a filter on 100,000 miles ago. So I would recommened that everyone get a coolant filter, cuz I dont think its good for all that junk going through you coolant system and EGR cooler.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's pretty nasty. I have been thinking about doing this for some time now, maybe it's time to just get it done.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts