The Diesel Garage banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
1,660 Posts
well i dont know about it coming out after three years. i figure its in there from the start, my truck has never been toped off by anyone other than me, its never been flushed with anything but the motorcraft coolant and nothing but distilled water. You mentioned it shouldnt be considered a problem unless it "impacts heat transfer function " well this debris is known to clog up the EGR coolers in our trucks . I consider that impacting heat transfer function and its the only reason i installed a filter.

·
963 Posts
I am a Chemist by training and a Network Analyst by trade, just needed to put it out there.:damnit

Killerbee, I do understand what you are trying to say, but the way you were coming across...was definitely saying that those of us that were seeing this were blind, and dumb.:shrug:

As far as the Duramax comment...I was exclusively going by your signature, and your previous posts...so yes you do have some brand loyalty.:poke:

Our 6.0's have some inherent design flaws in the coolant system. The EGR Cooler and OIL cooler both have very tight passages that are easily clogged, and in the case of the aluminum EGR cooler, easily damaged. Anything, that could possibly help decrease the likely hood of damage to these is a good thing. And the filter kits are a very, very small price to pay for that possibility.:Thumbup:

I think that bcarriveau hit on a good point. Because this filter is a bypass filter, just like any other secondary filtering system, that it does not get ALL of the solids(I am using this term until I know what it is for sure) out on the first try. My first filter looked REAL bad. My 2nd, looked about 1/2, and I have yet to pull the 3rd.

I have only used G-05(The rating recommended by Ford) in my truck, and distilled water. All of the service has either been done by me or the Dealer, so no risk of somebody using the wrong coolant.

The ONLY thing that will clear this discussion up and settle this point, is a complete chemical analysis of the "Solid" found in the filter. Which I plan on getting done when I pull my current filter.

Until we have hard evidence to prove it otherwise, I would HIGHLY recommend every 6.0L owner get a coolant filter kit!!!:woot: :thanks:

·
55 Posts
What does Ford say?

So has anyone had any warranty issues with Ford on the filter install? Has anyone gotten Ford to give them an "OK" to install the filter? I what to install one and don't want any future issues being blamed on the filter.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
if your worried call your dealer and ask. just like removing the cat. its emissions parts for warranty not motor parts. you wil be fine.. coolant lines are not part of the 100000 waranty.

·
BUG JUICER and
1,239 Posts
LokiWolf said:
I am a Chemist by training and a Network Analyst by trade, just needed to put it out there.:damnit

Killerbee, I do understand what you are trying to say, but the way you were coming across...was definitely saying that those of us that were seeing this were blind, and dumb.:shrug:

As far as the Duramax comment...I was exclusively going by your signature, and your previous posts...so yes you do have some brand loyalty.:poke:

Our 6.0's have some inherent design flaws in the coolant system. The EGR Cooler and OIL cooler both have very tight passages that are easily clogged, and in the case of the aluminum EGR cooler, easily damaged. Anything, that could possibly help decrease the likely hood of damage to these is a good thing. And the filter kits are a very, very small price to pay for that possibility.:Thumbup:

I think that bcarriveau hit on a good point. Because this filter is a bypass filter, just like any other secondary filtering system, that it does not get ALL of the solids(I am using this term until I know what it is for sure) out on the first try. My first filter looked REAL bad. My 2nd, looked about 1/2, and I have yet to pull the 3rd.

I have only used G-05(The rating recommended by Ford) in my truck, and distilled water. All of the service has either been done by me or the Dealer, so no risk of somebody using the wrong coolant.

The ONLY thing that will clear this discussion up and settle this point, is a complete chemical analysis of the "Solid" found in the filter. Which I plan on getting done when I pull my current filter.

Until we have hard evidence to prove it otherwise, I would HIGHLY recommend every 6.0L owner get a coolant filter kit!!!:woot: :thanks:

I am looking forward to your analysis result.

If your observation is reduced contaminates, over time, can you be sure it is not becuase you are depleting the reactive SCA (assuming that to be the case)?

IOW, is it possible that flushing just puts you back to square one?

I am not pretending to know anything, just another comment to step out of the box. Don't read into it, it's just the way I think, as a Chemical Engineer who has too much time on his hands. Maybe it IS sand. i am not arguing, just give me the benefit of the doubt, i spend too much time talking to computers, don't expect my social skills to honed.

"a man's got to know his limitations"
Prof Eastwood

I am looking forward to your analysis result.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Coolant filter a good idea

I spoke with my dealer about the idea of adding the coolant filter, the mechanic who has removed my trucks cab twice for bolts then studs, says the coolant filter is a real good idea, and will not void my warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Does it really matter what it is? If its sand - it needs to get filtered out. If its silicates from the OEM coolant dropping out of suspension - it needs to get filtered out. As this cooling system is setup to be run without SCA's, any substance that will get caught in a filter should get filtered out - even if the cause is less than stellar maintanence. Seems there are no downsides to this, and only positive outcomes.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stated my filter was clean, meaning no visable muck or dirt, yet my filter was indeed gritty, like fine sand. Since I am second owner, who knows what the first owner did as a DIY. Truck had solid records of dealer-maint, no shows for coolant changes, so I cannot begin to guess why I have grit in my filters.
Dealer flush with machine, filtering now, so who can argue that the little investment to filter is fadish?
If I captured nothing after a few filter changes, I would feel stupid, however that is not my situation, so I feel good about filtering the coolant.

Right thing to do, for me anyways.

Let those doubters pontificate all they want, the rest of us know.

·
2,951 Posts
gratefuldawg said:
So has anyone had any warranty issues with Ford on the filter install? Has anyone gotten Ford to give them an "OK" to install the filter? I what to install one and don't want any future issues being blamed on the filter.
I ask my dealer too before i put the kit on and he said its a good idea.I think it depends on the dealer you go to.The dealer i go to is mod friendly and very under standing.All the guys from the sales,serv. and the diesel tech. know that i have a programer,turbo back w/no kitty and the stock filter:poke: .IMO it depends on the dealer:Thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
well FWIW i have owned several vehicle's

Ford- Green coolant
Pontiac- Dex-cool
Ford- Gold coolant
even some red stuff if i remember correctly...

and EVERY STINKIN ONE had a nasty slimy FUNKY residue in the degas and a film or sediment also...

so i bough tone for my 6.0

·
28 Posts
Had a new EGR valve & cooler installed last week of June (expensive!) Kept hearing the fan kick in high gear. Took to another shop (back where I bought the truck), 2nd week of July. This time I paid for a new oil cooler, and yes, another EGR cooler. I did get the old parts, and yes you can clearly see the sludge in the coolant portion of the oil cooler. Oh yeah, the truck is stock and has 114k miles on it.

Technician tells me that Ford has redesigned the oil cooler to reduce oil cooler problems. True or not? I don't know. Just looking at the cooler and how it integrates into the engine, I don't see what will prevent the sludge from collecting again. Nor do I see how flushing the coolant system will remove any coolant sediment that's settled in such a recess.

I've been reading that some are installing a coolant filter off of one of the heater hoses. What do you think? Will it work? Better than nothing?

At this point I've decided that the 100k coolant flush isn't nearly frequent enough.

Blue
seems like I've read so many horror stories about plugged coolers after a flush is done. Flush should be done first before changing the coolers. my 6 liter has 75000 miles on it , the coolant looks brand new, never flushed it one time. I'll see what the cooler looks like because I'm getting ready to have hpop replaced and I'll have the egr cooler welded on both ends, and add a coolant filter. 150 bucks well spent for filter from sinister.

Few symptoms for plugged coolers, egr valve looks steam cleaned and its wet inside intake, losing coolant from degas bottle.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts