The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 40 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sand from when they cast the block, inpurties in the water and etc.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Wonder what the bottom of the radiator and other low spots look like......nice work, i wonder if we can consider this representative of what all coolant system fluid looks like?

Ralph

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
By the way, nice looking install. Can you tell us what the kit is that you bought?

Ralph

·
Registered
239 Posts
ralphinnj said:
By the way, nice looking install. Can you tell us what the kit is that you bought?

Ralph

Thanks!!! Got the kit from Dfuser, very nice kit and easy install. Here is the link to the kit. Coolant Filter

·
113 Posts
I put the Dieselsite Coolant Filter on mine. Looks like the same unit I put on.

I have an 06 6.0L and put the kit on with about 14,000 miles on my truck. I changed the filter after about 3,000 miles and cut mine open too.

I didn't have hardly anything in the filter and housing. I did have a little sand. No sludge at all.

I had flow because the filter return line was still hot, but wanted to change the filter anyway.

I'm wondering why my system is alot cleaner than some out there. I didn't have any residue in the degas bottle.

22,000 trouble free miles so far.

:Thumbup:

·
455 Posts
back in days of old the only need for the filter was to add dca to prevent cylinder cavitation.

But not Navistar at least has seen that the gunk in the cooling system can plug up oil cooler passages and restrict flow to the egr cooler raise oil temps etc .

The restricted flow to the egr cooler has been found to be a large cause of egr cooler failures.

We had a huge recall where we added filters to 6.0 equipped trucks to prevent this failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got mine today from Dieselsite. It's the exact same one you have. It didn't come with the shutoffs. Are those regular hardware store water shutoffs?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
i would call the company...even on their site the picture has the valves... maybe a new guy shipped them. LOL

·
113 Posts
Those little ball valves are optional. You pay extra for those. You could find some at a hardware store (maybe) but they will be alot bigger than those offered at the Dieselsite.

The ball valves make it easier to change the filter with less coolant loss, since you can shut off the lines to and from the filter.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
bradcollison1 said:
Those little ball valves are optional. You pay extra for those. You could find some at a hardware store (maybe) but they will be alot bigger than those offered at the Dieselsite.

The ball valves make it easier to change the filter with less coolant loss, since you can shut off the lines to and from the filter.
i just checked the site it shows in the features that the valves are included. and im sure plumbing sections of harware stors have smaller ones then the kit..

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
bcarriveau said:
i just checked the site it shows in the features that the valves are included. and im sure plumbing sections of harware stors have smaller ones then the kit..
I just ordered one of those kits from Dieselsite. Nothing in there that I saw indicates to me the ball valves come with the kit. In fact, I ordered a set extra because I didn't believe they come with it. I also blew up the picture of the kit and don't see the ball valves in the pic, so I don't think they do. If by some chance they were included, I guess I'll have an extra set!! LOL LOL

·
0 Posts
Thats not only regulated to 6L motors. I put one on my 7.3L right at 100k miles and after a dealer coolant flush. Mine plugged up after 3k miles from all the sand and crap still in the block.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
humm.. when you go top check out does it give you the option to get the valves extra? i would love that kit if its included...theres another kit in a nother forum thats cheper and comes with the valves... anther coolant forum from yesterday.

ON EDIT... ITS THE SAME COMPANY JUST A DIFFERENT KIT. MAH BAD...

BUT I THINK IM SOLD ON THE KIT LISTED IN THINS FORUM..

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I just added the valves to my cart before I hit the checkout button. BTW, the Dieselsite filter kit with the addition of the valves and 2 extra filters worked out to be a whopping 8 bucks more expensive than the other kit which comes with brass fittings. The Dieselsite kit comes with stainless ones. Probably nothing wrong with the brass fittings but I didn't like that idea. Other than the fittings, the kits appear to be virtually identical....

·
3,754 Posts
holy crud, the whole point of dexcool or the ext life stuff is to keep the "crud" in suspension and keep it from accumulationg in the radiator etc, so IMO if the stuff is designed to keep the "crud" in suspension they shoudl all have a filter to keep it filtered otu

·
304 Posts
That "crud" looks like something more than just dirty anti freeze scum.......That looks like oil and water have mixed and would result in that type of stuff getting caught in that coolant filter....I had a blown head gaskets in one of my gas engines and it made that kind of scum build up in my radiator and overflow bottle! That engine might have more going on than just dirty coolant. I would say something is obviously contaminating the coolant! That aint normal!! I am certainly not going out an buying a filter just based on those pics....I wonder if that engine has ever had head gasket issues?????

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
thejdman04 said:
holy crud, the whole point of dexcool or the ext life stuff is to keep the "crud" in suspension and keep it from accumulationg in the radiator etc, so IMO if the stuff is designed to keep the "crud" in suspension they shoudl all have a filter to keep it filtered otu

yes but keeping it in suspension is not enough. it does more damage that way, have you ever heard of extrude hone ? that is how it works. when this stuff is traveling thru parts it is eroding them at a higher rate due to it's abrasive properties, and the thin metal of the egr cooler wears rapidly, and this has been to blame for many egr leaks . i'd rather the stuff was sitting in one place than doing the damage, but i for one will definitely be buying one of these kits ASAP

21 - 40 of 192 Posts