The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my buddy's buddy has a stock ferd 7.3 with an auto and he wants to race me......i know he'll take me off the line cause i gotta stick... but i should beat him with ease right

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
You might get him... I not sure what he's got for add-on assuming stock you should have enough to get him...:shrug:

·
90 Posts
If he has a stock truck, no addons, you will probably get him

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
If he's chipped, I hope you can row quickly, cause that Edge ani't got enough....

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
add some decals to your truck.. then you'll get him... no seriously though.. if you can shift good.. you'll get him

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
chipped 7.3's with out big oil are mid to low 15 sec trucks... I dont know what a VP times are on an Edge but I know the CR's are low 14;s now if you can grab gears good then it will be a close race..

·
3,514 Posts
It comes down to your shifting really. Launch in 2nd. My brothers stock 7.3 won't get out of its own way, that thing is a dog.
Sean

·
here
321 Posts
If he is stock as you say, you have it won easily, if he is chipped, it will probably be close.

Be careful though.

·
Alaskan Assassin
88 Posts
Jusy go balls out and race him. Everybody loses sometimes. But you got a secret weapon, THE ALLMIGHTY CUMMINS!!!

·
3,514 Posts
Seriously, what do you have to lose by racing him anyways? I say just go for it. You know if he beats you, you either need to practice shifting, or his truck isn't stock.
Sean

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
sstockton said:
Seriously, what do you have to lose by racing him anyways? I say just go for it. You know if he beats you, you either need to practice shifting, or his truck isn't stock.
Sean
I agree... :Thumbup:

It not like your racing for pinks...:damnit

·
274 Posts
You'll get him. I rowed off on a stock 6.0 with basically the same mods you have now. Didn't get him by much, maybe only 1.5 lengths. Don't launch to hard cuz axle hop is a whooper...might try practicing the launch cuz if you can shift you'll walk on him by third.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Working a handshaker is tougher than sitting back in a automatic...:sly:

·
274 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
Working a handshaker is tougher than sitting back in a automatic...:sly:

Right you are..that's why I don't even try to drag race mine anymore...I got tired of the auto's with 50 less horse walkin all over me. Then they brag...sometimes life just ain't fair.

·
Its Cute Aint it!!
684 Posts
Yeah i know the feelin. The sad thing is if your rollin than the table can get turned real quick. That 6spd got a lot more gear on the top end!

·
113 Posts
when i drag raced my 01 with a 5 speed i took off in 3rd. just rev it up to 2300-2500 so it dont fall on it face and slip the clutch ever so slight coming out so you dont throw all the torque at one time. i let out on the clutch to fast( an no i didnt dump it) snap the main shaft in the tranny. practice a couple of times at a stop light just dont get caught doing it.

if the ford is stock and you lose i wont tell anybody. you should put it on him

·
A Slave To The Trade
650 Posts
everyone on here is right. if you can grab gears right you'll romp all over him. just take a few practice starts and get comfortable with your launch then come race time just lay on it and if you lose work on the truck, come back and blow smoke on him as you go by

·
3,514 Posts
kc04 said:
Yeah i know the feelin. The sad thing is if your rollin than the table can get turned real quick. That 6spd got a lot more gear on the top end!
I don't know what the gearing is in the ford trannies, but compared to a dodge auto, no that 6spd doesn't have more gear up top. It has a 5.8% lower overdrive than the auto. The auto has more top end.
Sean

·
Registered
550 Posts
it will be close i am rooting for you just because you got a cummins, but those old 7.3's can get it with a small mod or to so watch out. i lost to one before i did a trans and injectors and it was a six speed. granted it had a short throw in it. but when that ford got through six gears before i even got to overdrive i was impressed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts