The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering how a Ford AIS severe duty intake stacks up against the aftermarket airfilters? I know that the severe duty traps a whole lot more dirt than a wimpy K&N filter. Also is there anyone who has one and has notice any power gains or different turbo sound?

·
1,581 Posts
You'll never see a power gain from just a air filter swap (unless yours was completely plugged) fuel is what makes power, more air just keeps the pistons from melting. As for turbo sound, it will actually make it quieter than the stock housing.

For stock or chipped 7.3's you're not going to find a better filter setup than the AIS, it filters better (finer particles) and holds more dirt than any oiled gauze filter made.

If you're planning radical hp mods like stage 3 injectors and a huge turbo you'll out flow the AIS.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to go with a radical Horsepower set up then which air filter would flow more air with out losing the ability of filtering out of dirt like a stock filter or a AIS. Also it would have to be replacable or non oiled filter.

·
1,581 Posts
I'd look at using an open paper element like the MD trucks, search for Tymar there's several variations, but you basically run some tubing directly into a very large filter and tie it down to the inner fender next to the battery.

Generally, the filter element is not the restriction, it's the housing. Which is the reason a lot of AIS housings have been modified (swiss cheesed) to draw air from the fender well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts