The Diesel Garage banner

Ford coolant or Extended Life Coolant???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be a big issue here lately on swapping over from the Ford issued coolant to some brand name of a extended life coolant. So lets see how many people are agreeing with this.

Thanks

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know there are a few of you who have switch over to the elc coolant and I am sure there are some who want to know, who has and who have not....

·
70 Posts
I have a non ford coolant in my truck right now but I just bought the AMSOIL propylene glycol and just need to find the time to do the flush and fill. I have been using the AMSOIL Dominator cooling system additive as well and will continue to do so for that nice little added cooling edge that surfactants give you when pulling in hills and high ambient temps. The AMSOIL coolant is also guaranteed for 7 years or 250,000 miles.

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would consider elc, maybe I should revise my poll to include "other"

·
3,533 Posts
I would advise if you have warranty left you use their coolant and keep the receipt.

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no warranty left.

·
70 Posts
I would consider elc, maybe I should revise my poll to include "other"
Yes...propylene glycol is the future...we are considering converting the compressors over in many of our gas plants for a more environmental reason, toxicity being so low and it's inability to conduct electricity thus eliminating electrolysis in our engines.

·
3,533 Posts
Propylene Glycol was popular in the middle sixties and fell out of popularity quickly after that we used a water treatment that came in cartridge, bags with zinc plates. They were about 5 inches high and 6 inches around we used 4 cartridges in the V12 Cummins 1710's and every thirty working days they were completely gone all that was left in the container was the bags.
Before you use it you want to check with your dealer first Propylene Glycol in not compatible with some sealants and "O" rings. It is better to ask first and get a printout than regret it later.

·
70 Posts
What you had were anode bags. Today's PG is formulated with inhibitors and protection packages like in regular EG, unlike back in the old days. AMSOIL's PG is comparable with the rubbers and seals in today's engines.

·
3,533 Posts
Well in the good old days you can not mix Propylene Glycol, with other coolants. So if you need to add a little coolant when on the road where do you find it. With all the people on this site, when you are at the local fuel stop, look for it and do tell us where it is. I worked with it and was not impressed. The bags were full of coolant conditioner, and the plates were sacrificial, the Coolant was filtered threw the bags, cloth covers. If I remember correctly testing was done with a light refractors, sight system for strength.
I was involved with Nalcool, Dex-cool, early use in "B" model cats and N14's and was impressed. you can buy it at every fuel stop and grocery store.
Noat, is a very good coolant, it also is not available at every location you may need it.
You can have the best coolant in the world, if you have a problem you need to be able to get extra, no one carries enough to cover a blown hose.
I can test my coolant with a test strip, and have bottles of additive if it is low I have lots, You can buy it at a truck dealership along with the test strips. I do want to put on coolant filter, and recommend every class eight does have one. Just a thought!

·
70 Posts
Today's PG (AMSOIL's for sure) is 100% compatible with any EG and if things go sideways and you lose coolant and need to add, you can throw in whatever is at the truckstop with no complications. Now that being said it will shorten the life of the AMSOIL PG which is formulated to go 750,000 miles or 7 years in your big truck or 250,000 miles or 7 years in your car or pickup. Things do go wrong but I'm 44, owned 4 highway OTR rigs and a pail full of pickups to say the least and with my obsessive attitude toward maintenance I will swear on a stack of bibles that I have never blown a rad hose or lost coolant for any reason on anything I have ever owned...with the exception of 1 collision....so I have never nor can i imagine a reason not to run PG. Now to each his own....I'm not saying that's what you or anyone else should do....I'm a licensed Heavy Duty Mechanic and 3rd Class Power Engineer, and have done the math so to speak performance wise and environmentally and it's the best choice for me is all. I keep extra in my shop and have a couple gallons in my tool box when we hit the road pulling the 5er on holidays, so finding it is never a worry for me.

·
227 Posts
I would advise if you have warranty left you use their coolant and keep the receipt.
Prestone ELC meets the G05 standard and would void the warranty. Prestone has a $7 rebate until 1/31/11.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I could say that this site has helped me in my emergency situations when my car got stop moving due to lack of diesel. I would continue to visit this forum for sharing my experiences.

·
227 Posts
Typo, sorry. Meant to say, It wouldn't void it.

Reactions: FTG-05

·
Janet Doss
2 Posts
Yes...propylene glycol is the future...we are considering converting the compressors over in many of our gas plants for a more environmental reason, toxicity being so low and it's inability to conduct electricity thus eliminating electrolysis in our engines.
As far as i think propylene glycol is not the future. What makes you believe that it is the future?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts