The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 01 ford excursion 7.3 and since i have had it i have had a shake/vibration that i thought was just my tires but after a new set and several balances i still have the same problem. I never had a roar or any noise coming from my driveshaft but was told that it could be out of balance, i took it to a machine shop and after replacing the u-joints and a balance i have developed a roar at 45 and continues until 65 and i still have my original shake/ vibration.. i have taken the shaft back to the machine shop and had a different set of u-joints put in and had it balanced again and it's worse. the roar continued after 65 so i had the machine shop build me a new shaft using my yoke and yet another better as he called it set of u-joints put in (non greasable) to have the same roar not after 65 anymore but still at 55 so i have a problem so where that is driving me nuts!!! mostly stock except for new set of michelin's 285/75/16, rancho adjustable shocks including steering stabilizer,and i have a predator tuner on the vehicle. if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!!! Josh

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the front end checked and everything looks great.. possibly the bearing coming out of the transfer case..

·
5,365 Posts
what about the carrier bearing ? dont know if the X's have 'em but i imagine they do.
wheres the noise coming from (front/rear/corner) ??

could be pinion bearing.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No carrier bearing and the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear... it just started the roaring since i had the driveshaft rebalanced and then had it replaced and still have the roar.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I had a the same problem on my old 72. I pull the rear shafts out of the axle, the disconnected the drive line from the rear end and spun the pinion. Found out that it was the pinion bearing that was going bad. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it a way to diagnose the problem. I would also look at all your bushings: springs, shackles, bump stops, etc. In both the front and bad. You could have some vibrations getting transferred through some bad bushings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts