The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ford did me wrong on my 2005 6.0 and now there doing me wrong on my 2010 6.4 the 2005 had 50.000 miles and needed a motor after 4 turbos and 1 set of head gaskets and 3 fuel pumps and 5 egr coolers and my 6.4 has 8000 miles and the boost was going up and down and now it has stopped, but they cant tell me why it did that and now my truck is only geting 6.5 mpg pulling my 32 foot enclosed trailer and 9 mpg driveing with just the truck i am only geting 290 miles to 38 gallon tank and they tryed to say i am geting bad fuel mileage becaues of my 24 inch wheels the truck only gets driven when pulling the trailer or to go out its not a daily driver i dont want some lame excuse trying to blame my wheels they need to fix my truck am i the only one who has had this problem with ford

·
606 Posts
Fuel mileage explanations can be tricky at best.I spent one month trying to get the answer to what is acceptable fuel dilution. Never got it. If Ford gave an answer to your question, then they would be locked in to what is acceptable fuel mileage. Not going to happen.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Not to be rude but if you went through 4 turbos you should claimed the lemon law. The wheel aint helping you MPG. How much does the trailer weigh?

·
780 Posts
I know in Florida the lemon law goes into effect if it is the same thing going wrong within 12,000 miles because i had a chevy that went threw a water pump every 15,000 miles

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the trailer is 12000lbs and my 2005 ford ford did not care the first turbo went at 12000 miles and then 15500 and then 31000 and then 50000

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know doing a dpf del and exhaust and intake and programmer would help on the mpg but it voids the warranty i got done so bad on my last truck i dont even wont to take a chance on this one and the other truck all i did to that one was exhust and afe intake

·
6 Posts
ford dealer

Man,them wheels must be doing it and the weight ford cant keep up can it.
They got me for 2800 said rockers worn out on 08 250.

·
186 Posts
Wheel diameter is pretty much irrelevant, what matters is the actual tire diameter. You have low profile tires on those wheels, so I suspect the actual tire diameter is not far from stock. Lookup the stock tire diameter and the diameter of yours and you can readily show the stealer that the wheels are irrelevant.

Boost issues ought to be setting DTCs, especially if you have the 11B23 flash. Is the VAT actuator cycling as it's supposed to when the key is turned on? Have someone turn the key while you watch the connecting rod between the actuator and the turbo, it should move through it's range of motion.

The PC/ED section of the service manual has clear "no DTC present" diagnostic procedures for various symptoms such as low fuel economy, and procedures to test the turbos for under or over boost conditions. Your stealer should be performing those tests.

·
147 Posts
Wheel diameter is pretty much irrelevant, what matters is the actual tire diameter. You have low profile tires on those wheels, so I suspect the actual tire diameter is not far from stock. Lookup the stock tire diameter and the diameter of yours and you can readily show the stealer that the wheels are irrelevant.
Not completely true. Larger wheels often add more rotational mass, which adversely affects fuel economy, regardless of the overall diameter with tires.

Now, I doubt it would affect it as much as the difference the OP is seeing, but it does have a measurable negative affect.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Just a question but if the tire diameter has changed, could the odometer also be off somewhat?

Next, are these MPG numbers going by the computer? or are they Hand calculated?

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
No, much harder to start and stop a larger rotational mass with all the rim weight much farther from the hub than stock.

Do you still have the stock wheels and tires? I'd run those for a tank or two to eliminate the variable.

Adrianspeeder

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
**** ford i have played there game long enuff i put my stock wheels and tires back on and the truck had the same boost problem and same MPG pulling my trailer and they are saying now that is is my stearo pulling so much power and when i showed them that i had a 200wat power cap for the stearo that you can un hook the batteries and the truck will run off the cap itself they wonted to back stepp now they say put all the stock stearo stuff back in and see what it does yea right like im just go and pull $18000 dollars of stuff out my truck just cuz they are to ****ing stuiped to find the problem im not playing there game n e more the next thing there gonna say is my trailer is to heavy and calling ford customer care is a joke they dont care they got my money now there saying **** you FORD SUCKS ***

·
147 Posts
**** ford i have played there game long enuff i put my stock wheels and tires back on and the truck had the same boost problem and same MPG pulling my trailer and they are saying now that is is my stearo pulling so much power and when i showed them that i had a 200wat power cap for the stearo that you can un hook the batteries and the truck will run off the cap itself they wonted to back stepp now they say put all the stock stearo stuff back in and see what it does yea right like im just go and pull $18000 dollars of stuff out my truck just cuz they are to ****ing stuiped to find the problem im not playing there game n e more the next thing there gonna say is my trailer is to heavy and calling ford customer care is a joke they dont care they got my money now there saying **** you FORD SUCKS ***
Sounds to me like it is your dealer and not Ford. You REALLY need to try a different dealer if you haven't already. That dealer's service department seems to be loaded with morons!

·
8 Posts
Are you guys kidding me? How many of you have ever held a 24" aluminum rim vs. a 35" tire. The rim is much lighter. As in, 10-15lbs at least. I run 35's with 22's on my King Ranch 6.0, 3:73's, FX4, and average 17 around town. Hand calculated. I could see the mileage being crappy pulling the trailer, but not empty. There's something he's not saying or he's got some serious dealer issues.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i called ford customer care and they sead as long as i have the stereo in the truck my warranty on the hole truck is void cuz they sead it pulls to much power i had a 2005 king ranch dually bought that one new to and put 4 turbos and 2 egr coolers and 2 fuil pumps and new injectors and 2 sets of head gaskets befor doing the arp studs and i got rid of that truck at 50.000 miles cuz it was 6 months out of warranty and needed a motor i will have my 2010 a year next month and it has 8000 miles on it and have all these problems already time for a duramax

·
606 Posts
i called ford customer care and they sead as long as i have the stereo in the truck my warranty on the hole truck is void cuz they sead it pulls to much power i had a 2005 king ranch dually bought that one new to and put 4 turbos and 2 egr coolers and 2 fuil pumps and new injectors and 2 sets of head gaskets befor doing the arp studs and i got rid of that truck at 50.000 miles cuz it was 6 months out of warranty and needed a motor i will have my 2010 a year next month and it has 8000 miles on it and have all these problems already time for a duramax
The stereo pulls to much power???????? Its time to run and run fast from this dealer.

·
3 Posts
Are you over the gross vehicle weight rating of the truck? Your old truck looks like it had a lot of stuff added, I'd assume this truck is DRW also and is able to handle the additional load while pulling a trailer?

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Are you guys kidding me? How many of you have ever held a 24" aluminum rim vs. a 35" tire. The rim is much lighter. As in, 10-15lbs at least. I run 35's with 22's on my King Ranch 6.0, 3:73's, FX4, and average 17 around town. Hand calculated. I could see the mileage being crappy pulling the trailer, but not empty. There's something he's not saying or he's got some serious dealer issues.
I agree the dealer is bendin' him over. However draw a free body diagram like your physics class days and a low pro tire and rim combo even if lighter, puts more weight away from the hub.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 20 of 20 Posts