The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering what you duramax guys are seeing for fuel mileage? Have a 2005 6.0 f-250 now and get 12 city and 18 (at 60MPH) , 16mpg (75-80 mph) with a custom tune and exhaust. have heard the duramax gets better but wondering what the realistic # is. Thinking of a switch. Thanks

·
16 Posts
My brother has a 07 lbz and gets 22 driving back and forth to honda from about 50 min a day up Rt 68. With just a 4" MBRP exhaust, AEM 5" intake, and a egde juice w/attitude.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
My brother has a 07 lbz and gets 22 driving back and forth to honda from about 50 min a day up Rt 68. With just a 4" MBRP exhaust, AEM 5" intake, and a egde juice w/attitude.
IS THAT HAND CALCULATED???:thumbdown:thumbdown

Im getting about 18-19 at 62 on the highway, totally stock, CC 4x4

with a tuner your looking at at least 20-21 as long as your foot stays away from the fire wall:thumbsup

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IS THAT HAND CALCULATED???:thumbdown:thumbdown

Im getting about 18-19 at 62 on the highway, totally stock, CC 4x4

with a tuner your looking at at least 20-21 as long as your foot stays away from the fire wall:thumbsup
i problably get close to 18-19 at around 60 mph. I have a CC 4X4 with exhaust , intake and custome tune. Was hearing reports of around 20 mpg at highway speeds of 70+mph and around 16 or so city/mixed driving. Wondering also if these are hand calculated or from the on board computer. I am sure the dmax gets better mileage, just trying to figure out how much and if it worth the cost to make the switch?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
IMHO the switch is worth it!! the only mods you need to do to keep this rig together with up to 500hp... small transmission upgrades

Hand calculated 18mpg at 65, 100mile trip i dont write my figures down, just do it quick on my cell to see what im really getting, the DIC can change by just going up or down a hill by a few mpg's...

im getting 18 totally stock!, im not sure what i get in town because most of my driving is mixed, as far as 20mpg at 70, it may be possible with the right tune and a good exhaust, im too broke to buy a tuner right now, wait, im too broke to buy the tuner i want.. LOL

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what year or Code truck should I be lookign for if fuel mileage is the main concern?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
im guessing the 06 LLY will be better than the 06 LBZ

LLY 310hp

LBZ 360hp

but as soon as you tune it your basically the same.....

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
wondering what you duramax guys are seeing for fuel mileage? Have a 2005 6.0 f-250 now and get 12 city and 18 (at 60MPH) , 16mpg (75-80 mph) with a custom tune and exhaust. have heard the duramax gets better but wondering what the realistic # is. Thinking of a switch. Thanks
I would get your truck checked, or change your driving habits, or something.

Just got back from a trip from OKC to Branson MO back to OKC pulling the fiver (11k lbs) and got right in the mid 10 mpg range. Got 24 mpg empty once but generally mid 16 to mid 18 all the time. F350 CC Dually, torque shift and 3.73 gears.

LargeCar:D:D:D

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i drive this thing like a baby and am always trying ot coast before stops and easy acceleration. The mileage just isn't there. from what i have read on the 6.0 i am doing better than most int erms of mileage. I have never heard of anyone getting 24mpg empty at highway speeds from a 6.0. The dmax seems to always be better with fuel mileage

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i drive this thing like a baby and am always trying ot coast before stops and easy acceleration. The mileage just isn't there. from what i have read on the 6.0 i am doing better than most int erms of mileage. I have never heard of anyone getting 24mpg empty at highway speeds from a 6.0. The dmax seems to always be better with fuel mileage
if you want great mileage get a dodge cummins 5.9L, you cannot top that, i was 20+ at 65mph all the time, and 18 when i was driving the crap out of it in town, all i had was an edge juice on it, stock intake and exhaust...:thumbsup

·
1,189 Posts
did you change to synthetic gear oils and motor oil that helps. also are your tires stock? what gears in yours? I see your mileage of 18 running 85, 16 using 4wheel a lot to get to the highway in the snow. But to get my truck under 14 I have to drag race it and beat the snot out of it. mines an 01 dodge just to give you an idea of what I get, but a lot of people like you say don't get very much outta the 6.0

·
300 H&amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;
54 Posts
Just my opinion, but the Ford is not going to get as good of milage, because it has more fontal area, as the cab is quite a bit larger than a Chevy. Don't know for sure, but I would also guess the Ford weighs more as well. More truck=less milage. When you see a ford parked by a chevy, (3/4 ton) it is plain to see the difference in cab size, and how much taller the ford trucks are. Just a thought.:popcorn

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
'07 LBZ

City - 13-15mpg
Hwy - 15-17mpg

Truck weighs 9k+, mileage is average, and you have to be easy on it to acheive it. Before bumpers, fuel tank, etc. I got 22mpg from PA. to MI. in the spring. I do not drive fast.

Towing almost anything it seems I get 9-10mpg, doesn't seem to matter if it's an airboat or my 44' enclosed.

All mpg is hand calculated, even though my lie-o-meter seems to be within .2 mpg if reset at every fuel fill up.

·
192 Posts
Those are average numbers from a 6.0L and are pretty good. Aint nothing wrong with the truck. I get those running 35" mud tires with stock tuning. My best was 21.2 mpg going to Orlando Fl with a custom economy tune and 285 all-terrains. Tire size matters. Set the cruise at 70 at left it alone. If you are looking for fuel mileage, get a cummins. That is just how it is. My dads 06 LLY does no better than my 6.0L. Like mentioned above, the Ford is a much heavier truck and has the aerodynamics of a brick wall!

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
if you want great mileage get a dodge cummins 5.9L, you cannot top that, i was 20+ at 65mph all the time, and 18 when i was driving the crap out of it in town, all i had was an edge juice on it, stock intake and exhaust...:thumbsup
Why the switch?

Good thread!:thumbsup

I'm wanting to make the switch as well, and am very curious about mileage. I am mainly focusing on a CC Chevy, because of the larger cab area, for the rear seat. But a 5.9L is not completely out of the question!

·
192 Posts
They are the kings of the mpgs. Boss had the first run of the common rail cummins in 03 that was out before the high output one and that thing was unreal as far as fuel consumption. 22-24mpgs were easily obtained at speeds from 60-70 mph AND 265/70/17 tires.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Why the switch?

Good thread!:thumbsup

I'm wanting to make the switch as well, and am very curious about mileage. I am mainly focusing on a CC Chevy, because of the larger cab area, for the rear seat. But a 5.9L is not completely out of the question!
I switched because i totaled my Dodge, and didnt have the cash to fix another stock tranny... LOL the Allison is just more stout, it wont break as easy when the truck is stock:thumbsup plus the LBZ is just mean...

the 5.9 had neck snapping torque tho.. i miss that truck:bang:

·
Hadley Coal Roller
819 Posts
our dmax seems to get great mileage. never hand calculated i and it dont have a lie o meter but i seems to get good mileage id say somewehre in the upper teens wit an easy foot :thumbsup. but its true cummins are the power and mileage kings

·
1,052 Posts
Changing to synthetics could help you mpg by 2-3 mpg. Then you can keep your truck.
Bill

1 - 20 of 26 Posts