The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gent's,

Came across this interesting info from Ford...here's a link, and be sure to click on and watch the video...
Promoted - Truck Trend

Basically saying the low phosphorous formulation of some of the new CK4 rated diesel motor oils causes accelerated wear according to testing done by Ford.

Makes me wonder which ones in particular, but they don't mention that.

They are saying to stick with the older CJ4 formulations if you can for now.

I noticed the specs on the new Mobil Delvac-1 ESP 5w-40 oil is way different than the predecessor, flash point is way lower than before too.

From my experience, the new high flow egr diesel engines with DPF and DEF technology are much harder on motor oil than earlier designs...gotta wonder if progress here is going backwards in becoming technologically drunk, as all this high standard emission controls has not lead to much cost effective fuel economy gains if any, and sometimes less. Parts and labor costs are very expensive too on all newer diesels, yes even more than our 6.0L's...

Harry

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Good luck finding CJ formulation, Delo switched in January, I've already got it in my 7.3L. And not having done oil analysis before, there's no real point to doing it after for comparative purposes. Time will tell, these changes to preserve emissions equipment may keep that equipment functional longer but still sell more new trucks by knocking older long life designs off the road through accelerated wear and failure.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
1,213 Posts
I just bought 2 cases of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP during the recent sale. It was all CJ4 oil. Haven't looked at the MSDS for the physical properties, but will have to go do that! It is a shame for them to lower the flash point though!

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some research...

Basically you don't want to use CK-4/SN rated oils...(S in SN stands for spark ignition engines)...these are oils formulated to meet the lower zinc standards of gasoline engines.

They have basically closed the loophole in oils that meet both diesel and gasoline rated API specs.

So, if you use the new CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4+, CI-4, CH-4 oils that do not have the "SN" spec included in the oil bottle label, then we should be fine using any of the new diesel only rated motor oils.

Here's another updated link that gives insight to this...Ford Offers CK-4 Alternative Oil for Super Duty Diesels - TopNews - Fuel Smarts - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com

Harry

Reactions: Smoker and bismic

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: pstrang and bismic

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
So don't buy this:

Look for this:

Wait, this is what's missing from store shelves now.

Actually, I'm trying to hunt this stuff down:

It looks like this is a viable solution for my rig, especially now that I'm in a much colder climate. I've got a bit of research to do and see if I can find UOAs to compare it to other oils. Otherwise I'm looking at switching ng from Delo to Rotella.

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Mercedes brand oil we use in all the Sprinter vans and Mercedes diesel cars and trucks at the dealership is a low phosphate spec 5w-30 oil made by Mobil for Mercedes...we've been using it for years in customers cars, but I certainly won't use it in my 6.0L. However, we don't see much lubrication fail issues with this oil in these German vehicles. So really, it seems engine design variances can be a factor in which oils are suitable and which are not.

5W-40 diesel synthetic oils have worked best for my 6.0L in my cold climate region, and I run this year round, in fact I run the Delvac ESP 5W-40 syn in our 2 older gasser suv Mercedes as well.

Wonder how Fords new diesel oil will stack up and if it's really a better oil solution or just marketing hype.

Harry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, if an increased amount of wear and tear is bound to happen, then it is just rational to be looking back at the predecessor's specs instead. A new improvement does not necessarily mean it is perfect from all aspects. There can still be flaws or glitches along the way and for Ford to carry out an extensive test for everyone to benefit from is really worth applauding.

·
28 Posts
So it is coming up on two years now and my stock of CK oil is running low. What is the consensus now on recommended oil for the 6.0?

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts