The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know has a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Manual Trans with 5" Exhaust, Edge Chip stacked with a smarty tuner and 35" tires. I don't know him all that well but he came up to me and bet me $500 his truck would out run me in a race. I'm runnin the Spartan 275 with 5" straight Pipe with 37" Tires, Automatic. I'm pretty sure I can take him but I just wanted your opinions on it.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Does he have anything done to the tranny? If not then he cant run the smarty to high without imploding it.

·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the Trans. I'm guess not and that he has a stock clutch and will smoke it. I doubt he can even shift fast enough to hang with the auto.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
If he has no trans upgrades then Id say you will be able to take him. If your doing a launch throw it in 4wd. If hes smart he will too. If he dont then you will rip him a new one off the line. also make sure you build 15lbs of boost or so.

·
116 Posts
I think you'll walk all over him. Pretty hard to stick with an auto while shifting a truck... Only thing holding you back would be your 37"s

·
Ford F250 Dude
93 Posts
I sure wouldn't bet him. He has a pretty potent truck. If he had an auto, he would put some lengths on you. With the hand-shaker, you could win if he missed a shift but that is the onlly way in my opinion. Had a Cummins and hung around the Dodge sites for a couple years and those trucks can run bad fast.

·
59 Posts
You will SMOKE him, my buddy has an 06 dodge dually with built auto, with 120 hp injectors, bigger turbo, and diablo and dynoed like 580+ hp and i smoked him, i finally taked him into buying smarty and his truck runs alot better but i think you will smoke any dodge with chip only, especially a standard from a stop

If you dont race him for $500 i will!!!

·
1,077 Posts
I agree with gas sucks. Where does he live. Ill race him for 500 if you don't want to. I don't think you'll SMOKE him if he's got a southbend but with a stock clutch.... No problem. I know what those stock clutches can handle and it isn't a cranked up smarty. I'd pop the hood first though and make sure there are no more goodies under there. Then take his money and buy a nitrous kit.

·
59 Posts
I have another buddy that has an 07 5.9 6 speed manual and he is on his 3rd stock clutch, he keeps getting it replaced under warranty! He leaves the smarty on level 5 and keeps burning them up

·
Registered
639 Posts
Make sure someone else holds the money, cause hes not gonna want to give it up after you wax his azz....not even a race.

·
14 Posts
Agreed, I have a buddy with a 6 with bully dog with the crazy larry tune and a mp8 with a fully built auto tranny and twin turbos and he only beat me by 5 hundreds at the track. I say go for it not even a race unless he is lying.

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
manwells are slow, unless its a full southbend that he can slip/and load on the line, even then he is going to have to really drive it to even make it a race.

·
2,183 Posts
Make sure someone else holds the money, cause hes not gonna want to give it up after you wax his azz....not even a race.
not like he'd be able to get away with the money anyways.:eek:wned

I'd take that race in a heart beat

·
274 Posts
F*ck I'd race for pink slips:haha I raced my buddy's '05 with a built auto and everything else except upgraded turbo, injectors and cp3. Rolling start I killed hm:haha Dead stop he did a boosted launch in 4x4 and I boosted none, he jumped 2 truck length and once I had boost I was chasing him down F'in quick. I was running the 275v2 with 4" turbo back and S&B. Now that I got my nitrous in and new cold side intercooler tube he doesn't have a chance.

The 37's shouldn't hurt you to much, nothing like how his stick slow him down:haha

·
282 Posts
yeah I would take that race if I were you .... trust me.... if all he's got is smarty and edge... and a manual clutch (esp if its still stock clutch) he's not gonna hang with you..... I'm a cummins guy but the custom tunes you ford and dmax guys can get are SICK

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
I sure wouldn't bet him. He has a pretty potent truck. If he had an auto, he would put some lengths on you. With the hand-shaker, you could win if he missed a shift but that is the onlly way in my opinion. Had a Cummins and hung around the Dodge sites for a couple years and those trucks can run bad fast.
You would change your mind if you had a Spartan tuned 6.4, they can really rip a lightly modded dodge.

·
361 Posts
make sure you try and get a video of it.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I'd take his money. He shouldnt touch you unless he has one of them flappy paddle manual gear boxes. But the last time I checked Ferrari or Audi didnt have a Cummins conversion kit out.... Happy hunting.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
You mean like magnesium shifter pedals on the steering wheel? Thats pretty cool.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
No way he'll beat you. I had a DiabloSport tuner that claimed 160 HP and it would slip my stock clutch. Hell I have a 6 speed, 37's, stock gears, the 250 tune, and I can run 14.54 at 93 with my dual disc clutch. Auto's with the same 250 tune can get into the 13's. There's no way he can make a stock clutch hold up to the power required to beat your truck. Hell I think I could take him with my manual. I sure could use $500 too. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts