The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Excursion 7.3.....
Motor says it was Dec 1, 2000.....Build date on it is also Dec 2000
When was the cut off for forged rods? late 00 or early 01?
Thanks
Chelsea

·
Registered
103 Posts
Supposedly it was October of 2000 I think, but the only way to know for sure what rods you have is to look.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
I would say you have PMR's....

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
We just pulled a 2002 down and it had forged rods..:shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did they put forged connecting rods in the 96 year models?

thanks, Rodney

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
The PMR change over was finished by the end of October 2000. If the motor sticker says December 2000 the you have PMR just like Joe.:poke:

:sofa
Kyle

·
282 Posts
Hate to hyjack.....my build date is 9/00. Does that mean I make the cutoff. I am just curious, I have not had the chance get in there and inspect.
thanks,
Steven

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
You more than likely have good ole forged rods......

·
282 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
My motor had a Oct 7th build date and it had PMR's
The official date was OCT 16th at engine #1498320.
But that does not mean a thing. I had a buddie with a March 13 01 build date and his had Forged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The pmr rods appear alot heavier. Does anyone in fact know the weight differance between the pmr and forged?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Lowboy said:
We just pulled a 2002 down and it had forged rods..:shrug:

Please don't say that, you give me hope.... :pointlaugh

What was the build date on that engine. Maybe it was a reman :shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to look. The change over date was OCTOBER 16th 2000. There are some engines built before that date with the PMRs' and some engines built after that date with the Forged rods. The ones before 10-16-2000 that have the pmrs' were test engines, and the ones with forged rods after 10-16-2000, were when they supposedly were running low on pmrs'. The inspection hole is just above the oil filter. It takes a special tool to get it out but you can do it with some 5/16 th square stock and a crescent wrench. I used one of my nail set tools as it had a 5/16th square end. The oil level is below the hole so it will not spill out. DI performance has instructions for where to locate the hole and shows what the different rods look like so you can compare. Hope this helps ya, Gene. :mafia

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
Sorry guys when I was reading the post the second page did not come up so I responded and when I hit post quick reply, the second page came up so I guess that I just gave ya'll some repeat info.By the way my 10-09-2000 build date engine has the forged rods, I checked to be sure. Gene :mafia

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
that 2002 story gets me hopes up ill take a look tonight!

·
Smokin'
430 Posts
Any cases where forged AND PMR rods were put in the same motor? LOL that would really suck. Have one forged rod at the inspection hole and the rest PMR LOL

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Maintain said:
Any cases where forged AND PMR rods were put in the same motor? LOL that would really suck. Have one forged rod at the inspection hole and the rest PMR LOL

That would be JOE's luck :pointlaugh :sofa

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
This question has been posed often the official cutoff date for forged rods was October 16, 2000. There were however engines built previously that had PMR's as these were test engines. When they made the switch they ran out of PMR's and had to use forged rods again after the 10/16/2000 cutoff date. So the only way to really know for sure is to pull the inspection plug. it is located just above and to the right of the oil filter. It takes a 5/16 plug tool, but you can use any piece of 5/16 square steel stock and then loosen it with a crescent wrench. The inspection hole is above the oil line so you will not spill any oil when you pull the plug. There are pictures of what to look for at DieselInnovations.com . This really is the only way to know for sure. Sorry for the long post, Gene. :mafia Sorry guys the second page did not come up again and I thought this was a new post asking the question. :sofa:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts