The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is beyond me why so many vendors are continuing to develope more and more high-horsepower tunes for a very small market of "racers". I live in West Texas where you can't drive to the corner convenience store without passing a dozen diesel trucks, most of them new Fords. I am in the construction industry and work with around 30 guys who drive 6.4L Fords and they all complain about the fuel economy. Many of my personal friends are farmers and they have the same complaint.

Looks like to me that the first vendor that can squeeze 12-14mpg (city & towing) and 18-20mpg (highway without a load) out of a 6.4 will sell far more programmers & exhaust systems than the first guy to get to 400hp and 10.5 in the 1/4 mile at 130+mph.

I personally drive a 2008 F350 CrewCab King Ranch dually 4x4 with 4.10 gears. I was told by several vendors that if I did the DPF delete and installed a programmer that I would consistently see a 1.5 to 2.0 mpg increase, so off came the DPF and on went the Spartan. Over the last 6,000 miles I have experimented with the 75hp, 150hp and 210hp tunes in city driving, highway driving, towing my bass boat and hauling my 4,200# Artic Fox slide-in truck camper and honestly have not seen enough increase in fuel economy (0 to .5 mpg) to have warranted ever buying the Spartan & DPF delete pipe.

Everyone says "get the 250 or 275 and you'll see at least 2 more mpgs", but I'm not willing to dig even deeper into my wallet on "promises".

I think it is time for some of the Techno-gurus at either Spartan or Innovative Diesel to show us all what they can do to increase our fuel economy. I'm personally tired of reading all of the time-slips from the dragstrips and watching videos of people shreading their tires.

IS ANYBODY LISTENING????????????

·
Registered
639 Posts
Haha, thats why we wrote the 450rwhp mileage max tune.. ;)
I was getting real good mileage with your BIG tune as well...about 14-15 in town with my 38s...17+ on the highway.

Everyone says "get the 250 or 275 and you'll see at least 2 more mpgs", but I'm not willing to dig even deeper into my wallet on "promises".
14+ in town and 18+ on the highway is easy to get wit the high HP tunes...no matter the vendor...I have been seeing those MPG's with 38s for over a year now with the SPartan tunes.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Not to make you mad or anything Truckmaniac But you bought a Dually with 4:10 gears. Its built to work. If you want great mileage then go buy a Focus. If you were willing to buy a new dually then you should already know that it wasnt going to get good mileage. Nothing out there is going to give you an extra 10mpgs with the push of a button. These are 8500+lbs Diesel trucks, poor mileage is part of it at this time.

·
606 Posts
Even if you don't get the extra mileage you got rid of the DPF and the fuel contamination. You probably increased the life of the engine. As soon as I get the funds mines coming off. I have been having my oil analyzed the last 4 changes and have seen the aluminum and fuel content increase every change. Don't get me wrong the extra mileage would be great to off set the cost of the delete.

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to make you mad or anything Truckmaniac But you bought a Dually with 4:10 gears. Its built to work. If you want great mileage then go buy a Focus. If you were willing to buy a new dually then you should already know that it wasnt going to get good mileage. Nothing out there is going to give you an extra 10mpgs with the push of a button. These are 8500+lbs Diesel trucks, poor mileage is part of it at this time.
I had a 2005 & 2006 F350 Dually 4x4 with 4.10 gears that got 17mpg "stock" on the highway @ 70mph "unloaded", 13 mpg in town and 12 with the camper on board, so I don't need a focus to get an improvement over my 2008 6.4L.

My whole point is that if the vendors would take the time to develope some programs that will give us some fuel economy, then they will virtually expand their sales market ten-fold, over just making stuff for the go-fast guys.

Besides they seem to be spitting-out new horsepower numbers so often that it doesn't seem like much of a challenge, so I thought I would throw down the Better Mileage Gauntlet and see if they have the courage or the brains to pick it up. In the long run, the first one to do it would have Braggin' Rights, would line his pockets with a few more pesos and those of us looking for economy would be benefactors.

P.S. My Toyota Prius Hybrid gets 11mpg pulling my bass boat (I just need helping getting the rig up the ramp) and 3mpg pulling the truck camper on a dolley.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thing is its pretty much already been done..the higher HP tunes...250+hp get GREAT mileage...the power goes hand in hand with fuel economy...just keep your foot out of it.

Maybe if they labeled it "economy tune" you would feel good buying it....cause it does increase economy a good bit.

·
Speed Junkie
193 Posts
I know where Truckmaniac is coming from. Some of us use our truck for work on a daily basis. I don't know that it is safe to be pulling heavy loads with the HIGH HP tunes. I mean it is recommended that you not tow over 6000lbs with the SCT 50hp tow tune. So I surely wouldn't feel comfortable towing with a 250+ tune...

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I work my truck daily. Tons of miles working in the oilfield I am always at least 180miles from home so I pull a big 5thwheel when I go. Now with the 210 tune pulling a 15,000lbs trailer I can get betwenn 7-9mpg. With the 275 "RACE" tune loaded I get 18mpg+ driving around 75mph. If you want good milage. Drive smoothly and dont punch the throttle. I can empty a tank in less then a 100miles if I drive like a jack azz.

·
606 Posts
I work my truck daily. Tons of miles working in the oilfield I am always at least 180miles from home so I pull a big 5thwheel when I go. Now with the 210 tune pulling a 15,000lbs trailer I can get betwenn 7-9mpg. With the 275 "RACE" tune loaded I get 18mpg+ driving around 75mph. If you want good milage. Drive smoothly and dont punch the throttle. I can empty a tank in less then a 100miles if I drive like a jack azz.
What kind of mileage you see pulling that 5ver with the 275 Tune?

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Dont pull the trailer with the 275. I like having the temp safeties on the 210.

·
116 Posts
I would agree, the higher HP tune the the better the MPG. I love pulling my boat with the 275, as soon as you get rolling, you barley have to touch the pedal to keep speed on the highway... The only thing you have to watch out for is turning that diesel into smoke. I bet I would get even more to a tank, but I do find smoking out lanes and tailgaters quite fun. :coal

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
210 would be great for you towing and am surprised you say it doesn't get higher mpg. doing away with regen alone would help tremendously so hmm...weird...higher hp tunes ARE more fuel efficient though

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
lift kit, and knobby tires dont help. If the truck was set up stock. I would get a few more mpg.

·
138 Posts
I am eventually going to get the spartan for both performance and hopefully Mileage... When I can afford to.

He does have a valid point though... if he has the tuner and the 210, I bet he doesent much if any by going to a larger tune... I mean come on, even with the 210, running empty or even with a slight load the truck is still grossly over-powered. I dont see the higher hp tunes offering much more at freeway cruising speeds.

Also, you cant compare mileage with a guy running 38" tires. Period. If you got the same diff gears his rpms on the freeway will be quite abit less wich is exactly why he will get better mileage.

I am hoping for the best but, I wont cry if I atleast get the same. I high Mileage specific tune would be bichen though... especially for trips. Maybe one of the tunes could be modified right around the cruising speed rpms to help the mpgs.... oh well, in a perfect world right? I better save for a gear vendors :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
First of all, I'm going to point out a few things here for you.

DPF deletes are for off-road use- period. There is a disclaimer signed for every single tuner that goes out the door; whether or not users actually read it or just sign and fax is not up to me.

Given that it is illegal not only to use DPF deletes on public highways, but for us to manufacture and sell a device knowingly to be used in an illegal fashion- hence the need for the disclaimer.

We can't control what really happens with them- that is up to the customer. But putting a huge marketing claim, a guarantee of mileage increase, ect is a HUGE liability that my company (and many others) will not take with the EPA or other government entities in order to "humor" users simply seeking extra mileage

Most trucks do see a mileage increase- whether those economy increases are seen on-road or off-road are out of our control. We make that very, very clear with the disclaimer if it is actually ready.

With that said, our priority with ANY AND ALL DPF DELETE TUNING will be for competition use at the race track or sled pulling, period.

Whether some people are "tired" of seeing timeslips or burnouts is irrelevant- the gods honest truth is that more of our business at the moment is coming from performance driven interests than fuel economy and driving Ms. Daisy on sunday. For legal purposes, it will remain that way. All complaints with this policy can be mailed to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC.

I'm sure I could make more money marketing and designing a product strictly for on-road and illegal use- just as I could sell dope or illegal weapons and get rich. But I will not lose my business over it. Track use is legal; road use isn't. 18-20MPG consistently (as in not just one tank of fuel- on average) with a DPF on the truck, just isn't going to happen. Physics kicks in and creates an unreasonable situation you are asking for. Read around at mileage results on "clean" tuners such as the Banks, ect and you'll see just how much good they do.

The matter of fact is that higher HP tunes will get better fuel mileage, period. However right now our market is driven by performance- there are only so many people on our staff and only so many hours in a day. Until the performance market changes, our priority with DPF delete tuning will be in running what some people obviously consider "silly" competition use.

There is a reason that no one is listening to what you are complaining of. Legally, we cant. Regardless of what goes on behind the computer screen.

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
Well stated Matt.

I have to agree the higher tunes have much better mileage, i get similar to pahrump on 37s, and i do tow 10k with the 275 with no problems, you just gotta be smarter than the truck, mileage with 10k has been right around 12 mpg which to me is damn good because i never leave 75 mph doing it. I;m sure if i slowed down a little i could get more, but the extra time isnt worth another 1mpg, at least to me.

·
234 Posts
he owns a dually to do work but hey if he can get better mileage while doing it, thats what he is looking for!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts