The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am looking for all the info i can get on free to nearly free obs mods that can be done to gain a little extra power and performance.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
I know that everyone will tell you to take the K&N off. Go with the DIY intake, inexpensive for the result.

·
1,921 Posts
I honestly doubt he is going to see any difference in performance with the DIY vs. the K&N. Just the K&N filters don't filter as well as a paper filter that most use in the DIY kits. Personally I'd go for the AFE.

The only real free mods there are is the 10K mod and shimming the fuel regulator. The 10K mod can make a small difference but not always very noticeable. You basically take a 10K resister and put it in the IPC sensor. IIRC if you look at the end of the plug so that there are two pins side by site like two eyes and one below like a mouth you put one end of the resister in the right eye and one in the mouth. (someone correct me if I got the eye hole mixed up it's been awhile since I've done this).

The other is to take the fuel regulator apart and put a bb in it to shim the spring. This give you more fuel pressure. I'm not really sold on it makeing power but some claim it does. I've also heard other say they noticed a drop in fuel mileage after doing it.

Next step would be a 3" downpipe then 4" exhaust after that. Your turbo should spool a little better but you really won't see much for power gains. After all that and you get a set of gauges get a chip and you'll think you just bought a different truck. The chips make a HUGE difference!

·
Registered
394 Posts
:iagree

Dish the K&N an get an AFE Stage 2 intake. I agree with these things not because i sell any of the products but because i OWN all of these products and know first hand experience that you will fall in love with your truck all over again, but like we say these mods mentioned aint cheap by no means but you will get what you pay for... GOOD LUCK!!!

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
I was just saying that because he wanted free to almost free. I know that the AFE Stage 2's are not cheap. I am not saying that they are not worth it, I am just saying that it would be cheaper for the DIY and I thought that was what jmccall was looking for.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts

·
2,509 Posts

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
yep thats a goodin to

1 - 8 of 8 Posts