The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to find an owners man. without paying a fortune at the dealership?
1999 FL 70 manual is what I need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I,ve got full FL workshop books , let me know what you need and I.II get it to you :)
Ive gotta 94 Freightliner, Was wondering if there is an adjustment for the steering box, its loose at the top, wheel play is about 3 inches. There are three plugs on it, which fluid escapes from when loosened. Didn't know if you had to drain the oil in order to adjust or ??

·
480 Posts
There are no adjustments on the box that will make up for internal wear.
2 of those plugs are probably automatic poppet valves.
Assuming the play is in the box, the cure is to buy a new box.

Ive gotta 94 Freightliner, Was wondering if there is an adjustment for the steering box, its loose at the top, wheel play is about 3 inches. There are three plugs on it, which fluid escapes from when loosened. Didn't know if you had to drain the oil in order to adjust or ??

·
89 Posts
Those adjustments are for steering locks only , it sounds like you,ve got a TRW HFB70 steering gear and the only external adj is on the sector shaft screw which is on the inside of the box with access through a machined hole in the chassis rail . Adj this will take out sector shaft wear and will take out some inupt shaft movement timark check your pm

·
dagon dagon!
179 Posts
I've got a 98 FL 60 with a jumpy clutch, and it's brand new with good pedal adj, the old one was the same.

·
480 Posts
I used to find quite a few people would set up the medium duty clutches wrong.. instead of measuring the clearance on the tranny side, like in a heavy duty clutch with clutch brake, you need to measure the clearance between the clutch housing and bearing... here's a link to setup instructions
http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=255560
also as wcdiesel was suggesting, the hydraulic setup can sometimes be a pain on those trucks.. we had a few that we converted to mechanical linkage.

I've got a 98 FL 60 with a jumpy clutch, and it's brand new with good pedal adj, the old one was the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1998 FL60 Owners/Service Manual

You provided manuals for the 1999 FL60. Would there be any differnce for the 1998? Ours has a CAT w/6sp Allison and hydraulic brakes.

·
480 Posts
The manual that I rpovided the link to is even newer than 1999. The manual should still cover it though. The manuals get new and updated content as they go along, but they leave the content for older stuff in.

·
1 Posts
Help... I have a 1969 White Freight liner COE Tank Truck. I was told this truck has a 4 leaf spring suspension in the rear. It's not the typical walking beam suspension. I need to track down a service manual to do maint and repairs. If anyone knows where I can also get parts, that would be great. I have uploaded pic's.

·
3,533 Posts
If you stop at a dealership that has a sales group detailers for trade-ins, and new trucks they will likely have old manuals, they will give one to you, or give you a good deal for a dozen. It is worth a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts