The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off of our race car site, it's A 2002 powerstroke 7.3

I feel so dumb about diesel but I guess I am.

This year I have to plug the ***** in anytime it gets near freezing. Takes forever to warm up and be able to drive. Runs on 5 or 7 seven cylinders when warming up.

Also I used to be able to jump in it when when it was cold and start driving no problem. Now if it doesn't warm up for at least ten minutes (when it gets near feezing) it will stall on me and not want to restart unless I crank for 20 seconds. Feels like a flooded gas engine.

I am suspecting glow plugs.

But also sometimes when almost warm when you hammer on it it starts running on 7 cylinders.

I've been kinda living with the problem all winter, but today I hadn't driven the truck in 2 days and when I went to start it, it took 3 attempts, and then it would alternately stall every 5 minutes 4 times while running like a ****ing pail, then was behaving like a ***** not wanting to restart.

I've had it, I'm gonna tackle this thing next week and figure it out.

Thanks for any help.:HappyMugs

·
Got Diesel?
824 Posts
My guess is a glow plug relay on top of the engine there are 2 round 4-post relays, If I remember correctly it is the rear most, but could be wrong. check both large posts for + voltage at key on engine off, but you'll want to be quick as they usually shut off after 10-30 seconds.

The other relay is for the air intake heater. (round plug at at front side of turbo x pipe. Compressor side.

Look for a napa GPR109 about 20 bucks, same part as ford but about 100$ cheaper, the bolt holes don't quite line up, but if you keep the small wires on the small posts, and the big wires on the big posts it will work fine!

·
4,024 Posts
If you can, use a digital volt meter for the glow plug relay test. It's best if you have someone else turn the key so you can be ready to test. You should only have about .5 of a volt differance between the two posts.
If it's any more change the relay.

Good luck

DD

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I second the GPR

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
is there any excessive smoke at startup?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I just tested one the other day that actually had 4 bad glow plugs. You can check these by unpluging the harness on each end of the valve cover and check the two outside prongs for open. (the two inside wires are injector wires 4 wires total on each plug, two plugs on each head) Easiest way is to hook a test light to positive voltage then touch your probe end of the light to each outside prog if it doesnt light up it is bad.. The posts are laid out in the corresponding order. Furthest back is that furthest back etc. drivers side cyl are 2468 pass side 1357

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I just call the guy( and woke him up) and told him what you guys said. He is going to join us on here also. He has his own shop up in Canada for race cars like mine. SO thanks agian. This guy can just about make anything also check it out. He may make a Intercooler (better then the Banks for my 6.0)
www.magnusmotorsports.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts