The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running these tunes? I just talked to Doug today and am going to get an SCT Xcalibrator II from him next week. He has a guy that distributes his stuff not too far from me and I will be heading over there to get set up and meet the guys over there that can hook me up with warranty work when needed.

What tunes are you running from him? Anyone had any problems out of them? Anything special I should ask for in my tuning?

Can anyone compare his tunes to others by DJ & Innovative and others? Either way I am going with these three from Doug, but if there is something else out there that is a must have I will look into getting that one eventually.

I talked to him about adding the power of the street tune to the tow file like Carssucks truck has and he said that was no problem. Also going to get his street and Gonzo files. I don't tow anything to speak of with my truck being lifted 8" on 38's and a 16" drop hitch. I also have traction bars on the way for it.

I dont know any of these guys/tuners from online, but who says to call them on Fathers Day (Sunday) to discuss what I want and says to call him at anytime of the night because he is probably up? Such as last night when I think he said he was up until 3 or 4am.

Thanks,
Scott

Here is the truck it will going in - 2004 F350 with 11,000 miles
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten?id=20634

·
Diesel Junky
52 Posts
I just got an SCT 2 from him a few weeks ago. Great guy to deal with, really knows his stuff, and if you have a problem he will fix it. I have only tried the race file so far, great shifting and lots of power. Doug is the man.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Doug hooked me up with a street file a few weeks ago. He took care of a small problem I had over the phone, answered all questions I had even told me a few things about tunes and what to expect. He is a stand up guy....

Russ

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be getting mine from him tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait.

Thanks,
Scott

:93C_peelo

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys I got my tunes in and holy crap does it run. Power to spare and smoke is perfect. Doug even called me to make sure everything was perfect & talked to him again tonight. Only problem is that I am having trouble getting the 38's to hook up!

:thanks:

Scott

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #44
522 Posts
Yeah, doug is a great guy and a good friend to have. If you have any questions about a 6.0L then he is a good guy to ask!

·
Texas XC Quad Racer
957 Posts
COTTS4x4 said:
Well guys I got my tunes in and holy crap does it run. Power to spare and smoke is perfect. Doug even called me to make sure everything was perfect & talked to him again tonight. Only problem is that I am having trouble getting the 38's to hook up!

:thanks:

Scott
I have the same problem..... :damnit but to some, it's a great problem to have.... :woot:

·
206 Posts
Theres a transfer case under that truck for a reason. :Thumbup: And it was'nt put there for muddin either. :evil:

·
Sumo Blue
527 Posts
I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but I've used Doug's files as well as files from 3 other SCT custom programmers from this site.

Here are my thoughts:

One file was only as strong as Doug's street tune and left me wanting more. The shifts were smoother, but it didn't have the kick in the butt factor of Doug's tunes.

Another vendor's tune wasn't as strong as Doug's and gave me coolant puking problems. And I'm not talking about wide open runs, either. Going up and down through the mountains of PA at 75 mph made it puke......a lot. No, I wasn't towing anything and I didn't have anything in the bed. In all, I lost 24 oz of coolant over a couple of months. And the only way I could get the TC to lock up in overdrive was to get out of the throttle for a second. Basically, at highway speeds I had to lift the throttle to let rpms drop and then get back into it.

A third vendor's tune wasn't even close power wise and I had all kinds of problems with the TC not locking up. This was supposed to be their race file and it felt more like a street file.

The only complaint I have with Doug's tunes is that they surge a little on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. When the engine is cold, its much more noticable. However, I can say that when your 1/2 throttle or more, his programs shift awesome! And the TC locks up nice and early and really makes use of the extra torque.

Obviously, I'm not naming names or pointing fingers. There were some aspects of the other tunes that I liked better than Dougs--namely the partial throttle shifts and cold weather/cold motor drivability. But if I give my truck 5 min to warm up when its cold out (which I should do anyway), I'm okay.

Hands down, Doug has my business and will for a long, long time.

I know its too late to make a difference with your purchase (I think you'll be VERY happy with Doug's stuff), but thought I'd throw this out there for future browsing.

--Snake

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can anyone point me in the direction of a website for Doug? Sounds like he knows what is going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome! THanks for the link.

BTW - Are these tunes you talking about already included with the purchase, or are these paid for afterwards?:shrug: Also, you all are talking highly about these Doug's tunes... Would you recommend his tunes more than another? The reason I ask is because I have a new 07 and am going to get the SCT this week, but I want to make sure and do it right and wouldl ove some guidance.

Thanks

·
Sumo Blue
527 Posts
Typically Doug will mail you a "blank" SCT (no tunes) and ask you to pull your strategy using the SCT. Its very, very easy--trust me. Once he has your strategy (mine was HBX2 before I was flashed, now its SBS2), he'll email you three tunes. Most people go with a race tune (a little more hp and has torque converter lock up), a street tune (torque converter locks up late or not at all--more driveable on the street), and a tow/haul program. I'm confident that you'll be happy with these tunes, but will probably end up running one tune A LOT more than the others.

Oh yeah--if you have problems figuring out the SCT, call Doug. He'll walk you through it.

--Snake

·
Udderly Delicious
169 Posts
Ok, I'm ready for a tuner change. What #'s do these files come with and can Doug custom tune them for a 6spd?

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bullrack - Go to Dougs site and post on his forum... he will answer anything you ever wanted to know. I just talked to him and let him know your looking for some info. Post up and he will take care of you.

www.gogodiesel.com/forum

Scott

·
963 Posts
Doug knows his stuff...and writes one heck of a tune. Ask for a Gonzo tune...

Ray

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
yeah doug does know his stuff, ive got his tow file and the Gonzo file and i love em!

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonzo rides shotgun 24/7 in my truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts