The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a really good deal on some XD Series Ambush 18x9 rims and either 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers or some 305/70/18 Nitto Dura Grapplers. Right now I've got the factory 20s and some 285/65/20 BFG ATs. Any one have any experience either going up or going down in these rim sizes? What can I expect...better ride and handling with the 18s? Never had aftermarket wheels before.

·
518 Posts
personally id stick with the factory 20s and your tire combo.......I imagine it looks pretty good and these trucks just dont look right with anything less than a 20 since they are so big......just my .02

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
personally id stick with the factory 20s and your tire combo.......I imagine it looks pretty good and these trucks just dont look right with anything less than a 20 since they are so big......just my .02
I'm just not that concerned with looks anymore as much as functionality. I really want to move to a wider tire but I also want a rim that is more inline with the manufacturers requirements. Plus, I like the black XD series wheels and a move down to a 18 inch wheel drops the price of tires by $400. The rims and tires I want are only $400 more, after install, than new tires for the 20s. These BFGs ride rough and there is just not enough tire on the road. Thanks for the input.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
The ride would be better on 18's than 20's, but probably not enough to notice. More rubber between the road and the rim means more room for flex on bumps/holes (more shock absorbing effect). But like you said, the price of tires is where the kicker is. If I could ever find aftermarket 17's that fit these trucks, I'd buy them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts