The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
<<<Engine ear
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad U joint on my right front axle. can the axles be pulled out without taking the the entire spindle assembly off? In other words once I pull the rotor off will the axle assy slide out through the opening?

It's a 95 2500 4x4 diesel.

thanks.

·
141 Posts
No, gotta pull the hubs. Not too bad a job unless they're rusted on. Good time to do the bearings too as long as you're in there. Be careful you don't booger up the inner seals pulling the axles. Then it gets worse. You can use the power steering to push the hubs off with the bolts backed out a bit.

·
<<<Engine ear
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, gotta pull the hubs. Not too bad a job unless they're rusted on. Good time to do the bearings too as long as you're in there. Be careful you don't booger up the inner seals pulling the axles. Then it gets worse. You can use the power steering to push the hubs off with the bolts backed out a bit.

Thanks for the tip on using the P/S to help with the removal process. :)
I don't think I worded the question right though. I knew the hubs needed to come off, but do I need to pop the ball joints out and take out that whole assembly off?

·
141 Posts
I think it jsut slide's through the knuckle. Thats how it is on a 3rd gen
Yep. But like I said, it's one of those jobs that takes about the same amount of labor to do u-joints, bearings and/or ball joints, so I'd go ahead and do whatever needs done, or even close to needing done as long as it's already all apart.

·
<<<Engine ear
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it jsut slide's through the knuckle. Thats how it is on a 3rd gen
OK Thanks that's what I needed to know. And for some reason my brain couldn't think of the word "knuckle" lol:bang

Yep. But like I said, it's one of those jobs that takes about the same amount of labor to do u-joints, bearings and/or ball joints, so I'd go ahead and do whatever needs done, or even close to needing done as long as it's already all apart.
I will see how my budget looks and take that advice. I imagine all those part will be roughly around $120 or so.

Thanks for your help guys :rock

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.