The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any reccomendations on front rotors? I need to replace the ones on my 99 since I have a bad squal under light pedal. There are tons of brands out there just looking to see if anything is better than the other. I have Bendix pads on it now, so I thought of using their rotors as well.

How hard of a job is the replacement? I haven't looked at my service manual yet to see? :poke:

Thanks
DB

B

·
0 Posts
As you know, I have no brand recommendations.

As for doing it yourself, you need to have the proper puller to get the rotor off. As it has the bearings and all inside it. If it has never been off, chances are it will be a PITA. Took my Uncle who is a mechanic 4 hours to get the right front one off my truck to change a u-joint. When I did the brakes the last time we changed them both and the left one just about fell off, so go figure.

·
313 Posts
i just did rotors and pads on my 00 3500 dually in 35 minutes. pull off wheel, take out caliper bolts, remove caliper,take out mounting bolts, remove mounting bracket, rotor should pull off hub by hand.

B

·
0 Posts
BigDodge said:
rotor should pull off hub by hand.
LOL :roflmao: LOL :roflmao: LOL :roflmao:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I see that you are from Alabama, will guarantee you that is on your side. We have to deal with road salt up here for 5 months a year. That crap messes everything up.:damnit

·
Registered
311 Posts
D_B,

Check out the Powerslot cyro'ed rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Best non HP mod I have ever made to my truck!! It was such a difference we set up DPPI to become a WD for them and sell them now!! If you have any questions on them let me know.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Carbon Metallic Brake Pads. I've heard that's the only decent replacement. Or it might just be the 2WD. I don't know but I was told that's the only thing I should run.

·
560 Posts
D_B said:
Any one have any reccomendations on front rotors? I need to replace the ones on my 99 since I have a bad squal under light pedal. There are tons of brands out there just looking to see if anything is better than the other. I have Bendix pads on it now, so I thought of using their rotors as well.

How hard of a job is the replacement? I haven't looked at my service manual yet to see? :poke:

Thanks
DB

First, your rotor is held in place by the studs...you will need to remove the hub (unit) bearing and press the studs out of the old assembly (old hub/old rotor), then press them into the new assesmbly (old hub/new rotor)...only the later rams had floating rotors.

You will not simply pull them off the studs on a 99...they will need pressed.

My dad used rotors from Advance Auto without any problems...

steved

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did my pads today. I went with autozone. They have life time warrenty pads and rotors. thats the only reason i went with them. as far as the rotors coming off they have the bearings in them, they changed in 00 to just the rotors

·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if they have to be pressed I guess I'll take it somewhere. I don't have a press at in my shop so that will rule out me doing the work myself. Thanks for the recomendations fellas.

Mark_Craig you have a PM.

DB

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
a brass punch and a big hammer(6lb slege with a short handle) will work. its getting the hub off the truck is where you run into troulbe.

·
560 Posts
jarhead said:
a brass punch and a big hammer(6lb slege with a short handle) will work. its getting the hub off the truck is where you run into troulbe.

I used a big vise...then flipped the nut over (so I had a flat working surface) and pulled the studs back in...

I have damaged studs before using the BFH method, so I didn't trust myself to do that...

steved

1 - 11 of 11 Posts