The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the front speaker mounting depth is on the new 2011 Super Duty? I saw that VRSC was able to get a pair of 6.5's in the front doors. I purchased the same make/model as he did and my local shop is saying they hit the window when mounted. When they tried several different spacers to clear the window they hit the door grill. I can't get any info on the 2011, but I see the guides say the 2010 would only take 5.25's up front. But, it seems people are getting the 6.5's in there.

Anyone have any experience with this new truck and 6.5" speakers?

Thanks.

·
477 Posts
Call me (already given you my number twice) and I'll tell you how your stereo shop can install these. Honestly, your stereo shop shouldn't have any problems

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response VRSC and for all your advice!!! Much appreciated. I just spoke to my installers and it seems they came up with a trick last night that should make it work.

·
477 Posts
Thanks for the quick response VRSC and for all your advice!!! Much appreciated. I just spoke to my installers and it seems they came up with a trick last night that should make it work.
glad I could assist. What did they come up with to make it fit? Something similiar to mine?

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen it yet. They are going to send me some pictures. But, they told me they came up with a way for it to fit without spacing out the door panel. As soon as I see it or get some pictures I will let you know.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get a few pics of the beginning of the install. Here is the amp going in and the LC8i head unit interface. The LC8i is going under the passenger rear seat behind the storage tray in front of the jack. Hides well there.
IMG00044-20110201-1546.jpg
IMG00043-20110201-1546.jpg

This is the SPL2K sub box going in. It will house the JL Audio 13TW5. Got the idea from VRSC. Thanks! These boxes are well built and can be purchased from Michael. http://spl2k.com/. The rear wall will be covered in hushmat.
IMG00039-20110201-0920.jpg

Since Ford uses Molex connectors in the front doors for its stock wiring, which prevents the ability to run extra wires through them. We added boots to transfer the cables to and from the crossovers to the speakers. The crossovers were mounted inside the vehicle to keep water and moisture damage from getting to them in the doors.
IMG00045-20110201-1548.jpg

This is the sub level control cable that will be mounted inside the tiny change pocket by the drivers knee. It goes to the LC8i for sub volume control.
IMG00047-20110201-1549.jpg

More pics to come.

·
477 Posts
looks good

·
Team White
727 Posts
I put JL audio c5-570 speakers in my 08 with no problems. What makes these trucks any different?

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are some more pics from my install.

Power cable to battery and 60amp fuse
IMG00046-20110201-1549.jpg

Power cable running in door well
IMG00049-20110201-1551.jpg

Focal KRX2 tweeter
IMG00057-20110202-0917.jpg

Focal KRX2 tweeter front
IMG00058-20110202-0917.jpg

Subwoofer adjustment knob
IMG00059-20110202-0918.jpg

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front door covered with Hushmat
Front passenger door hushmat.jpg

Front door with Focal KRX2 6.5 component speaker installed
Front passenger door and KXR2.jpg

Front door Focal KRX2
KXR2 closeup.jpg

Rear door with Hushmat
Driver rear door hushmat.jpg

Front door reassembled
Driver door.jpg

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear Focal V30 component speaker woofer
Rear components.jpg

Rear Focal V30 compenent speaker woofer and floor mounted crossovers which sit just behind the storage bin once reinstalled
Rear components and crossovers.jpg

Focal KRX2 and V30 crossovers
Crossovers.jpg

Crossovers 2.jpg

JL Audio 900/5, floor mounted LC8i, SPL2k Sub box w/13TW5, and floor mounted Focal KRX2 and V30 crossovers. Both the crossovers and LC8i (which is the interface between the stock Sync system and the amplifier) sit behind the factory storage bin and cannot be seen once the rear seats is back installed. But, can be easily accessed for adjustments.
Amp LC8i sub crossovers.jpg

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
so you are not retaining the factory storage bin under the rear seat, correct?

that's where i'm struggling - since i'm using the dual 10" box, i have zero room to install the component crossovers. at this point, i believe i would like to retain the bin and floor space (once removed whenever i travel with the mutts :damnit).

also, what was the fix for the midrange door mounting? i have some components that i'd like to mount (if i can ever figure out where to put the x-overs).

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to keep the factory storage bin under the seat. There is plenty of room for the LC8i and all the crossovers even with the storage bin back in place. Once the seat and storage bin are back in place you can't see any of those items and don't even know they are there.

I am not quite sure yet, how they accomplished getting the speaker to fit. VRSC said his guys spaced out the door panel, but the guys that did mine found another way to get it to fit without having to do that. The door panel sits just as it originally did. They sent me all the pictures I posted, but did not send me any of how they got the front door mids to fit.

I will try and get them to explain to me what they did and let you know.

·
187 Posts
I was able to keep the factory storage bin under the seat. There is plenty of room for the LC8i and all the crossovers even with the storage bin back in place. Once the seat and storage bin are back in place you can't see any of those items and don't even know they are there.

I am not quite sure yet, how they accomplished getting the speaker to fit. VRSC said his guys spaced out the door panel, but the guys that did mine found another way to get it to fit without having to do that. The door panel sits just as it originally did. They sent me all the pictures I posted, but did not send me any of how they got the front door mids to fit.

I will try and get them to explain to me what they did and let you know.
looking forward to the pics, great thread, learned alot..thank you. Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts