The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on using ATF or 2-Stroke oil as an additive? We are using #1 ULSD here in Interior Alaska.........

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
Stay away from those types of additives with ULSD.
I use PS Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), but its warm here in the south.
I would use the Power Service (White bottle) that adds anti gel up in the cold

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I buy the stuff that ford sells. That way I never have to worry about them complaining about something I added that they don't agree with.

Reactions: bear1

·
Haulin' Hay
565 Posts
I'll second the Powerservice in the white bottle for your climate. There are several good addatives out there for diesel fuel, so theres no reason to add something that's not been tested an approved. Folks were able to get away with running almost anything as an addative years ago in the good old 6.9's, and some of the 7.3's, but with our fancy injectors, it's better to stick with a proven source, in my opinion.

·
110 Posts
I use schaeffer's 137 additive and have had good luck with and it was cheaper over all then the others but not as easy to come by.

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
how about Marvel Mystery oil...in the 6.0?

·
317 Posts
Simply put if its not made to be used in a diesel engine.....DON'T

·
39 Posts
I personally use Standyne. A little spendy but in my opinion a proven product.

Pat

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Well...Marvel Mystery oil,...says made for deisel engine on the bottle....thats why i was wondering what was everyones take on it,...put some in the oil. or the fuel? both? whatcha think?

·
497 Posts
I've ran powerservice (white Bottle) since the day I bought mine. Has anyone ran the Amzoil additive?? I have a sponsor with those guys and I bought a few bottles of the winter stuff they sell and a few for the summer

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
I would not use trans fluid, two stroke oil, mystery oil, chocolate, peanut butter or anything that is not made specfically for the fuel system by a reputable company. You start getting into viscosity problems and coking on the tips of the injectors. The older injectors that had huge holes in the tips and were mechanically operated could tolerate some of the oils and fluids that somebody heard that Billy Jo Bob used and it worked good, but todays injectors are a much different story. I would suggest you "just say no" to anything but a true diesel fuel additive, and read the label on those.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
LargeCar said:
I would not use trans fluid, two stroke oil, mystery oil, chocolate, peanut butter or anything that is not made specfically for the fuel system by a reputable company. You start getting into viscosity problems and coking on the tips of the injectors. The older injectors that had huge holes in the tips and were mechanically operated could tolerate some of the oils and fluids that somebody heard that Billy Jo Bob used and it worked good, but todays injectors are a much different story. I would suggest you "just say no" to anything but a true diesel fuel additive, and read the label on those.

:agreed:

·
963 Posts
:umno:

Like LargeCar said, stick to the stuff that is designed to go into ULSD, and follow the instructions from the additive manufacturer.

I personally use RedLine's 85+ additive, I use the regular in the summer, and the winter formula in the winter. It has worked for me, and on their website, they actually have documentation with Scientific data to backup their claims.

:2cents

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Got to thinking about my post and thought I might need to clarify my comments about Marvel Mystery Oil as an additive to the diesel fuel. I went to their website and collected the following.

Notice for Diesel Fuel Users: This diesel fuel additive does not comply with federal ultra low sulfur content requirements for use in model 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

So I am not sure if it is a good idea for the pre 2007 MY or not. But I think I would opt to error on the safe side and not use it.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
f250diesel said:
Are we all sure we need to add anything?
Some are concerned about the lubricitors being stripped away in the process of making ULSD, so some feel it is a good idea to use a good conditioner to replaced some of the stripped lubrictors. I use an additive for that purpose and the anti gel propreties in the winter. Some may be looking to the additive as a cetain (sp) adder.

·
32 Posts
I use Power Service white bottle in the winter months and then use the Power Service grey bottle once the weather stays above freezing temps.

·
119 Posts
There are several good additives out there. I did my homework about a year ago. The Ford stuff and Stanadyne is good stuff. I didn't check up on the others mentioned. I buy Stanadyne online in a 5 gallon can. It adds about a dollar per full tank.

I know of a few 7.3 guys adding about a quart of 2 cycle per tank, but the 7.3 is a different animal. I would not do it for the 6.0. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
we have 2 work trucks 6.0"s runing 16 0z 2-cycle oil and 16oz diesel kleen in gray bottle on every fill up. when these trucks have 10,000 miles on them i will take an injector out of them for inspection on the plunger and barrel.
i have ran this same mix on my 6.0 for 4,000 miles with no problems to date. when the 2 trucks have the miles on them ill post my findings.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts