The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 40 of 327 Posts

·
1,660 Posts
is it really true that the ULSD has less lubrication properties than the LSD? or is it just a myth. I run Power Service just in case but have always wondered

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
mattsn said:
is it really true that the ULSD has less lubrication properties than the LSD? or is it just a myth. I run Power Service just in case but have always wondered
Yes. The process of making ULSD has the draw back of stripping out some of the lubricitors in the fuel. It is not the fact that the fuel has less Sulfer (ie Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) it is the way in which they have to refine the fuel to remove the sulfer that causes the lowered lube ingredents. After all if you really think about it sulfer in itself is a rock (at least a mineral, that can be in the form of a solid rock form) and as such would be a poor thing to have in the close tolerances of todays injectors. Unfortunatly it's removal has the side effect of removing the good stuff, lubricitors that are needed.

Largecar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
1,660 Posts
makes sense. just never heard if it was a fact or fiction. like one of those many many car myths out there. thanks

·
963 Posts
diesel71 said:
we have 2 work trucks 6.0"s runing 16 0z 2-cycle oil and 16oz diesel kleen in gray bottle on every fill up. when these trucks have 10,000 miles on them i will take an injector out of them for inspection on the plunger and barrel.
i have ran this same mix on my 6.0 for 4,000 miles with no problems to date. when the 2 trucks have the miles on them ill post my findings.
Paul, Is that 16oz of one in one truck, and 16oz of the other in the other truck. Or is that 32oz combined in both trucks at every fill up...Either way 16oz or 32oz seems like a lot. Most of the additive I have read recommend 5-6oz per tank full for a regular treatment, and 12-16oz for a cleanup treatment.

Just trying to understand a little more, because I think we could get a lot of good info from a study like this!!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
LokiWolf said:
Paul, Is that 16oz of one in one truck, and 16oz of the other in the other truck. Or is that 32oz combined in both trucks at every fill up...Either way 16oz or 32oz seems like a lot. Most of the additive I have read recommend 5-6oz per tank full for a regular treatment, and 12-16oz for a cleanup treatment.

Just trying to understand a little more, because I think we could get a lot of good info from a study like this!!!
lokiwolf what i do is buy a case of valvoline multi-purpose 2 cycle oil. its the low ash tc-w3 stuff poor 160z out of the bottel and then add 16oz of power service diesel kleen to it,that makes 32oz or one qt. the drivers add 1 qt very fill-up, i use this mix to make it easy on them to add. the 2 cycle is for the lubricity additive and the diesel kleen is for a cetane booster. i use this same mix on my truck. both the test trucks reported a smoother running engine and to date a .5 mpg average gain. the main purpose is to get less injector plunger wear. not getting any good anwsers about it i decided to do the testing myself, we tryed the ford pm-17 and pm-15 but seen no gains and the injectors i replaced had scoring on the plungers from lack of lube all this after we started useing the ultra low sulfer diesel.

·
411 Posts
Some day, someone needs to teach me the concept of spending over $6K for an engine in a +$40K truck, then worrying about putting cheap non-approved fluids via the fuel in said engine.

I could understand the concept if you could only buy approved additives from Ford for goombaw buck. But every auto parts store and truck stop (yes, central AK has them, even DJ) has more than enough approved diesel additives, why put crap in when you don't have to and put your engine at risk?

I don't get it.

·
963 Posts
Paul, Thanks for the explanation...Keep us informed how it goes, and I am sure you will take some Pics you can show us.

:Thumbup:
Ray

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
LokiWolf said:
Paul, Thanks for the explanation...Keep us informed how it goes, and I am sure you will take some Pics you can show us.

will do:Thumbup: in a week or 2 the trucks will have the miles on them and come in for regular maintenance,at that time one injector will be removed and inspected.

·
PitBullPowerStroker
154 Posts
Can't wait for the final verdict.
Keep up the good work:Thumbup:

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
will do:Thumbup: in a week or 2 the trucks will have the miles on them and come in for regular maintenance,at that time one injector will be removed and inspected.

Yes do keep us up to date, this could turn into an interesting thread.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
121 Posts
diesel71 said:
LokiWolf said:

what was the outcome?

·
683 Posts
I have had good luck with both Stanadyne and Red Line. You can purchase both in bulk in order to reduce the treatment cost per tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
diesel71 said:
we have 2 work trucks 6.0"s runing 16 0z 2-cycle oil and 16oz diesel kleen in gray bottle on every fill up. when these trucks have 10,000 miles on them i will take an injector out of them for inspection on the plunger and barrel.
i have ran this same mix on my 6.0 for 4,000 miles with no problems to date. when the 2 trucks have the miles on them ill post my findings.
What size fuel tanks on the two work trucks for that 32 oz. mixture?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Boy there is a lot of NaSayers here about 2 cycle oil....

Do you every wonder whats in all those store products??? Some said they did want to put anything in the fuel that doesn't belong there... Hmmm does these things belong there???

I'm sure you wouldn't want to add these thing right???? Well you better look at the MSDS sheets for all of them... PS (Grey & White), MMO, Standyne, AMSOil, Etc...

MSDS Sheets for most brand names...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/2 cycle oil/MSDS/MSDS Links.htm

And a Chemical Definition listing...
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar19... & Tricks/2 cycle oil/Chemicals/chemicals.htm

Now is 2 cycle oil looking to bad... Hmmmm??? :popcorn:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I added 16oz of 2 stroke oil along with 16oz of Diesel Kleen to my 44 gallon tank at last fill up. The tank is half gone, and I'll admit it runs smoother than with Diesel Kleen alone, so I stopped at Walmart and bought a gallon of 2 stoke oil. I'll continue to try it out for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
DON'T MIX ADDITIVES with 2 CYCLE OIL... It will retard the lubriucation qualities...

·
963 Posts
Where's Paul, I haven't seen him on in awhile...

I would like to see his results...:poke:

I'll PM him...

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
LokiWolf said:

Diesel71 said:
lokiwolf what i do is buy a case of valvoline multi-purpose 2 cycle oil. its the low ash tc-w3 stuff poor 160z out of the bottel and then add 16oz of power service diesel kleen to it,that makes 32oz or one qt.
MOPAR1973MAN said:
DON'T MIX ADDITIVES with 2 CYCLE OIL... It will retard the lubriucation qualities
Not trying to start a fight here but like Loki would like to get a better understanding of what this is all about.

Why will mixing the 2 stroke oil and an additive cause a problem?

And what brand and spec 2 stroke oil are you using Mopar?

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
963 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
DON'T MIX ADDITIVES with 2 CYCLE OIL... It will retard the lubriucation qualities...
Paul (Diesel71) was mixing them to gain two separate things...

2-Cycle Oil - Lubrication
PowerService - Cetane Additive

He is a Certified Diesel Mechanic, and I would like to see the results of his tests...including pictures of the injectors. :Thumbup:

21 - 40 of 327 Posts