The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got on the highway reset the avg. gauge and drove for 335 miles down I-70 at 1900 rpm's wich put me at 70 to 73 mph and the avg gauge read 21.2 to 20.8 depending on hills and what not.I would go with a avg of 19.5 to be safe since I didn't add a certain amount of fuel and drive and then refuel and do the math to excat science.But with the math I did I came up 18.5 and that includes some in town drivining which kills any fuel milage.
On the way home I ran 80mph and my avg dropped down to 15.7 to 16.1 -what a differnce. Also my truck only has 2700 miles on it and its not even close to be broken in so I would expect it to get better when it gets broke in.

My point to this whole story is that to get mileage we need to change our driving style and keep or foot out of it or get crappy mileage.Also most tests done for fuel avg. are done at 55mph, so all those people that think they are getting 30 plus in cars arn't when they drive 75 to 85mph like they due on the Interstates.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yes, speed plays a HUGE role in MPG.

The formula for aero drag is: 0.5 x (frontal area) x V^2

Or 1/2 the frontal area times the velocity squared. So if you increase from 55 mph to 70 mph the drag increases 62%, and from 70 to 80 MPH it increases another 31%. The total drag increase from 55 to 80 is 111%!!

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Mine is about the same as everyone else's, anywhere from 13-18 depending on speed...

·
Registered
254 Posts
your milage will be directly affected by how hard you drive and if u tow etc not only cause you are using more fuel but u will go into regen alot more and it uses one heck of alot of fuel when regenerating!!! i did an experiment and did a reset at 55 mph on flat road with out regen on(u can tell cause it will idle up in neutral or park when in regen mode) the mpg showed [email protected] mph NO regen. Then when the regen was on i did the same speed and reset mileage minder and says 9-10 mpg and will not go up at all till regen complets and goes off.just my obsevations and opinion, not saying i know im absolutly correct here. I was getting 18.4 average with out reset untill regen.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How often (on average) are you regenning? (new verb!) GMC is saying about every 200 miles for medium duty. If you are averaging 50 mph and it takes 30 minutes to regen, you are regenning (there it is again!) about 10% of your driving time.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Mine was regenning almost every 200 miles but this time it has gone over 300and still no regen,im keeping a log on when it happens...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUICK83 said:
your milage will be directly affected by how hard you drive and if u tow etc not only cause you are using more fuel but u will go into regen alot more and it uses one heck of alot of fuel when regenerating!!! i did an experiment and did a reset at 55 mph on flat road with out regen on(u can tell cause it will idle up in neutral or park when in regen mode) the mpg showed [email protected] mph NO regen. Then when the regen was on i did the same speed and reset mileage minder and says 9-10 mpg and will not go up at all till regen complets and goes off.just my obsevations and opinion, not saying i know im absolutly correct here. I was getting 18.4 average with out reset untill regen.
So if some one comes out with a system to delete and straight pipe and trick the sensor we won't have any regen - there helping out with fuel consumption and giving us in the 20's if we don't have are foot in it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh yea thats true but the price will be more soot and stink again, but yea u r right!! gas milage goes up and the weird thing about this is we use more fuel to run our small polution control plant!! and we pay for the fuel to clean our soot. who makes out....just a thought. but the air is cleaner but we are using more fuel!!!! but we have to pay for the fuel so I guess its our choice cause we bought them. Me im fine with it all the way it is , keeping the air cleaner, no smell, no soot and it's quiet to. yea i have to pay alot for fuel but i can afford it thats why i bought the truck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUICK83 said:
Oh yea thats true but the price will be more soot and stink again, but yea u r right!! gas milage goes up and the weird thing about this is we use more fuel to run our small polution control plant!! and we pay for the fuel to clean our soot. who makes out....just a thought. but the air is cleaner but we are using more fuel!!!! but we have to pay for the fuel so I guess its our choice cause we bought them. Me im fine with it all the way it is , keeping the air cleaner, no smell, no soot and it's quiet to. yea i have to pay alot for fuel but i can afford it thats why i bought the truck.
The clean smell is nice but it is fun to dieeze people who piss you off.
I also read in D.Power that V.W. came up with a way to clean up with out doing the burn off in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I miss the diesel exhaust from my 6.0. And 9.4 mpg is hard on this small business guy's wallet. The things they don't tell you at the dealership...

·
Registered
102 Posts
snopro99 said:
The clean smell is nice but it is fun to dieeze people who piss you off.
I also read in D.Power that V.W. came up with a way to clean up with out doing the burn off in the exhaust system.

The current way of implementing the DPF is stupid and irresponsible. Burning fuel in the exhaust system is a stupid idea and they need to go back to the drawing board. This is what you get when you put the tree hugging EPA in control of things.

Personally, it makes more sense to put electric heating coils in the DPF to do their burn off if that's what they need to do. I'd like to see some figures on how much fuel is wasted on these regens multiplied by the number of these vehicles in existence (in about 5 years).

If the tree huggers are so concerned about CO2 emissions, then perhaps they need to get their butts out of the coffee shops and start planting some trees. On a daily basis here in Austin, I see hundreds of trees dozed to make room for the fancy new malls with the snooty rich class outlets. They cut down 100, and even 200 year old Live Oak trees, pour hundreds of yards of concrete, and then plant back a few token sapling trees and call that even.

They then have the nads to complain about global warming. I guess those huge concrete parking lots aren't contributing to warming. :bang Sorry, for the rant. I just like my diesel simple! Plenty of power, lots of torque, hold the tree hugging EPA crap! Thank you very much!

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
poppasmurf said:
If the tree huggers are so concerned about CO2 emissions, then perhaps they need to get their butts out of the coffee shops and start planting some trees. On a daily basis here in Austin, I see hundreds of trees dozed to make room for the fancy new malls with the snooty rich class outlets. They cut down 100, and even 200 year old Live Oak trees, pour hundreds of yards of concrete, and then plant back a few token sapling trees and call that even.

They then have the nads to complain about global warming. I guess those huge concrete parking lots aren't contributing to warming. :bang Sorry, for the rant. I just like my diesel simple! Plenty of power, lots of torque, hold the tree hugging EPA crap! Thank you very much!

well stated. Never understood clear cutting a stand of trees, putting up houses and then replanting small trees. They can't save any of them? :shrug:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When they come out with a complete system you can bet your last dollar I'll be out cutting mine off.I would be nice to know how much fuel is wasted and does 200 - 300 miles sound to often for re-gen?It does to me and maybe a little tweaking on that program should be done to go at least 500 - hell 1000 sounds better - I put alot of miles on and at 200 my truck will regen every day.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know snopro, I hope im wrong, but it does look like even someone who drives real easy will regen at least every 500 miles, i hope im wrong on how often mine seems to be doing it, but im pretty sure it has done 3 times with 1000 miles but 2 times i noticed it, i had driven the truck hard and then went into or was in regen when i noticed it, wow that would be alot of stuff to pitch if they came out with a whole new aftermarket exsaust to eliminate the exsisting stuff on there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does any one out there have any data or tech sheets to tell how often theese new trucks re-gen or are suppose to re-gen??????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts