The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure others have had this problem also,but here it is.During fueling my diesel 89 f250,the fuel wants to backwash and some times it takes forever to fillup,a real pain in the but.I've removed the rubber hose inside the filler neck,checked and cleaned out the tank vents and ran new vent hose out to the filler neck and modified the filler neck to get it up as high as possible.Other than pulling the truck up on a4x4 block of wood which works great,does anyone else have any suggestions,or do we just have to live with it.I hate it when i here,just live with it. OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS.:thinking

·
93 Posts
I have an 89 F350 that does that when I use diesel from truck stops with the larger filler handle. The only solution that I have found is to fill up at pumps that have the smaller lower pressure nozzles designed for automobiles. I think the truck stop pumps are set to higher pressure so that it does not take all day to fill a big rig.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the same problem at the pumps with the smaller nozzles.

·
93 Posts
The large hose on the front tank has a turn molded into the hose. The Back tank routing is more direct to the tank. Does it happen on both tanks?

·
38 Posts
On long trips I bring a 4x4 and pull the back wheel up on it to tip the tank to the side. this sometimes helps me get the tanks full. Unfortunately this has also caused my rear filler hose to rot some and it now leaks on a full tank. Pros and cons to everything. I find the foam factor is much higher now with the winter fuels and ULSD fuels. For the local driving I only get about 16 gallons in each tank. This also keeps the leaks down on the rear tank.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it happens on both tanks.

·
2,106 Posts
Very annoying problem. I've been getting sick of it myself. Staying tuned in to see what others come up with. Will post up if I come up with something...

·
38 Posts
I am thinking of installing 2 custom tanks to increase the volume. I have heard some get as much as 100 gallons under the truck. This would be real nice. I started talking with the truck stop guys and fabricators. One old fart comes back next week and has worked a lot with the older oil burners. I will post if I find any custom setups and the cost as well.

·
3,533 Posts
On the side of the fill spout there is a smaller vent hose, I would try blowing into that with an air nozzle, remove it from the fill nozzle, if it does not vent easy threw the fill spout, that is your problem. I had one do that and found out the fuel tanks had been out and they put plugs into the neck and did not remove them. I have seen the hoses twisted and if the wrong hose is used they will balloon inside blocking it.
Just a thought!

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my 89 f250 there is a vent in the top of the tank, but it only runs up on the frame,like a axle vent,i did clean it out,but you may be on to something,maybe i should put on a larger diameter hose and run it up beside the filler neck and come out behind the tank door,i'll think on it and when it warms up a bit i'll see what i can come up with.

·
38 Posts
I also find the vent lines feather inside restricting the air. After a while they just need to be replaced. You can blow them clean all you want but 25 years is a long time to have fuel exposed to rubber.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a solution for my backwash problem,gonna try and do a rite up on it.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check post, MY SOLUTION TO FUEL BACKWASH

·
10 Posts
I am thinking of installing 2 custom tanks to increase the volume. I have heard some get as much as 100 gallons under the truck. This would be real nice. I started talking with the truck stop guys and fabricators. One old fart comes back next week and has worked a lot with the older oil burners. I will post if I find any custom setups and the cost as well.
if your gonna do that you could save yourself alot of money by going with a TITAN fuel tank. If you dont know what that is they are custom molded for each vehicle and fit perfectly. But there are about 2x the size of the stock front tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts