The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at 9200+ miles my fuel filter life guage hit 0%, and 470 gallons used. I know the 470 is not right as thats over 19.5 mpg. Anyways I thought I would change it as I had one on the shelf from my 07.5. Pulled it out and saw it was different, but the filter looked pretty clean.

Found out that Wix/NAPA doesn't cross over to the new filter yet. So I went to the dealer and it turns out they have never yet sold a filter for the 2013 and no surrounding dealers has one in stock :wtf and it will take a couple of weeks to get one. So I put the old one back in.

To be fair I do have filters/water seperators on my fuel tanks so the fuel is clean (Also I never got one drop of water out the water seperator in the 170,000 miles I had the 07.5) and thats why I think the filter in the picture looks pretty clean. I can usually get double to triple the life on fuel filters over the recommended life on the equipment on the ranch.
Does anyone know if the filter life moniter is based on gallons runned through or pressure differential??

Attachments

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
For what it is worth, I changed mine at 12,851 and it looked just a bit worse than that, but not really dirty.. I would have to see how many gal of fuel it was as at the last fill up i was at 972.75 gal. I get my filters from Geno's Garage.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what it is worth, I changed mine at 12,851 and it looked just a bit worse than that, but not really dirty.. I would have to see how many gal of fuel it was as at the last fill up i was at 972.75 gal. I get my filters from Geno's Garage.
They went to a smaller micron rated filter in 2013 and since there is a filter monitor, sort of like the oil change monitor I didn't want to take any chances. But seeing how clean it was, l'm not worried now. I went as much as 60,000 miles on the 07.5.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
On my own trucks I change them every three years no matter the miles. My fuel comes from one supplier only so not really a problem to trace. I've never had problems but moisture does accumulate from condensate attributed to temperature/humidity changes.

I always thought it was piss poor of the OEM's for light trucks to not incorporate a low sump or any type of drain into a pickup's fuel tank. They must think a small diesel powered truck won't/can't have the same fuel problems a large one does? Of course a nickel matters in their application.

·
1,324 Posts
On my own trucks I change them every three years no matter the miles. My fuel comes from one supplier only so not really a problem to trace. I've never had problems but moisture does accumulate from condensate attributed to temperature/humidity changes.

I always thought it was piss poor of the OEM's for light trucks to not incorporate a low sump or any type of drain into a pickup's fuel tank. They must think a small diesel powered truck won't/can't have the same fuel problems a large one does? Of course a nickel matters in their application.
An f-150 is built every 60 seconds. (Just as example I know it's not a diesel light truck) - Nickel a minute. Plus the guys on this forum are the exception the mass amount of 'em out there just drive till they break - thus the wave of non-serviceable parts. Don't be surprised when you see non serviceable gear boxes some day. Assembly and bolts cost money.

·
1,324 Posts
Today at 9200+ miles my fuel filter life guage hit 0%, and 470 gallons used. I know the 470 is not right as thats over 19.5 mpg. Anyways I thought I would change it as I had one on the shelf from my 07.5. Pulled it out and saw it was different, but the filter looked pretty clean.

Found out that Wix/NAPA doesn't cross over to the new filter yet. So I went to the dealer and it turns out they have never yet sold a filter for the 2013 and no surrounding dealers has one in stock :wtf and it will take a couple of weeks to get one. So I put the old one back in.

To be fair I do have filters/water seperators on my fuel tanks so the fuel is clean (Also I never got one drop of water out the water seperator in the 170,000 miles I had the 07.5) and thats why I think the filter in the picture looks pretty clean. I can usually get double to triple the life on fuel filters over the recommended life on the equipment on the ranch.
Does anyone know if the filter life moniter is based on gallons runned through or pressure differential??
I would guess it's shooting for 10,000 mile interval knowing people don't change them as soon as the light comes on. Reset and see if 80% is at 11,200.

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
Based on my personal observations (truck is at 39k miles) the monitor is tied in as a percentage of miles based on a 15k service interval.
Did you order the rear separator as well???

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on my personal observations (truck is at 39k miles) the monitor is tied in as a percentage of miles based on a 15k service interval.
Did you order the rear separator as well???
No I did not since I have seperator/filters on my bulk tanks. And I rarely have to purchase diesel on the road.
I'm now at 12k+ miles without changing the filter (Neel am I catching up yet) now and still happy. Getting 17-20 mpg dependingon driving, 10-11 towing 5th wheel. On the farm/local driving I get better mpg then dad gets on his Tundra V6 , 2 wheel drive!

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
No I did not since I have seperator/filters on my bulk tanks. And I rarely have to purchase diesel on the road.
You might want to give some consideration to the rear separator replacement, as it's specified for replacement every 15k miles (just like the underhood filter).

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Your getting there Mike... my 12 has been sitting for about the last 3 weeks.. Rockin the Rubicon.... Im at 145xx..

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today at 16,400 miles I changed the engine oil and filter (10, 000 miles) even though the monitor was indicating I would make it to 15,000 miles. I would rather play it safe and change it early. The oil did not look bad, the 07.5 looked a lot worse in soot loading @ 4000 miles.

I also changed the fuel filter on the engine for the first time and the filter was practically white with very little sign of dirt. See picture. I think with my own bulk fuel and filters on the tanks I will be able to go much longer then the factory recommendation of 15,000 miles max.

Attachments

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
Ironically, I changed the oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, and rotated the tires on the 2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab DRW today. Oil & fuel filters had 13,728 miles and 281 hours of use. The 2014 RAM 3500 Crew Cab DRW is next in line.....it's only at 9220 miles but everything is on the shelf for a complete service in about 3k miles.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ironically, I changed the oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, and rotated the tires on the 2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab DRW today. Oil & fuel filters had 13,728 miles and 281 hours of use. The 2014 RAM 3500 Crew Cab DRW is next in line.....it's only at 9220 miles but everything is on the shelf for a complete service in about 3k miles.
GS, what did your fuel filter look like compare to mine as far as how much dirt you could see?

·
***The Radio Flyer***
174 Posts
Truck is currently at 40,279 miles. Fuel filters were changed at 12,317 miles / 241 hours, 26,551 miles / 522 hours, and 40,279 miles / 803 hours. My underhood filter has always looked great at those intervals. At some point in time, I'm planning on dissecting the frame mounted filter and see what the story is with it.

The single filter on my 2007.5 RAM 3500 MegaCab would look bad even at 7k to 8k replacement intervals, as pictured below :

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Greg,

I have heard the "severe duty filter" on the frame has lead to gelling issues for some in cold weather. I was at one point looking to add one to my 12, that being said I think I will pass as I normally do Fuel filters in 10k intervals. Changing the fuel filter on the 12 is much easier than the stock fuel filter on the 07.5 was but at some point I still miss my AirDog II. Can't get any easier to change than that was.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The single filter on my 2007.5 RAM 3500 MegaCab would look bad even at 7k to 8k replacement intervals, as pictured below :

That's a dirty filter for 7-8K miles. My 07.5 took 60k miles to look like that. Makes me glad that I control my tanks and supply with prefiltering before pumping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts