The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I researched how to drop the tank and fix the in tank float/gauge. I used a tranny jack to support and lower the tank since I had no idea how much fuel was left in there. It was just a matter of removing the brackets while supported by the jack. A few things that I learned that nobody mentioned. There are vent lines at the front top and the back top of the tank that plucked itself off when I lowered the tank. They were really crusty. I replaced a section of the hoses with a longer length because there wasn't much room to work. I used hose clamps too. The hose at the back end had two different diameters. I dang forgot what diameter. I think it was 5/16 or 3/8 and the adapter/connector transitioned to 1/2" hose. I used hosed clamps on those as well. While removing the fuel sensor I noticed the float somehow got wedged at the top and there was no way slamming on the brakes would set that loose. I stuck a pvc pipe cutter in the tank and clipped off the fill and vent tube. I did notice it helps when topping off the tank. I did all this before my road trip. It's nice to know I can go over 600 miles before needing to tank up.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
If you end up needing a sender, I have a working original unit for a 38gal. long bed tank I'll never use and will probably toss soon. If you or anyone else needs it for that matter you can have it for what it costs to ship it.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer. Mine seems to be fine now, but I tweaked the lever a bit to try and prevent the float from getting stuck again. Now I have to get used to the gauge readings again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts