The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i change my oil it always smells like diesel fuel.
also why is it that everytime i fill it up with new oil i can drive it 50 miles and its black as hell again?
doesnt really consern me much just thought about it because the 6.4 guys are having fuel in there oil because they dont drive them hard enough LOL.
im kidding

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
try a blackstone oil sample to see just what you have?

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
Wouldn't the reason your oil is black is because of soot (don't know bout spelling) (what happens do to black smoke) . Mine does the same thing.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
yep its because our rings dont seat at idle

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
:agreed: Almost all diesels turn there oil black in a matter of minutes, don't worry about it.

On the other hand I'd look into that diesel smell. Try the oil analysis. you might have more serious problems

:2cents

·
270 Posts
I bought my Black truck NEW in '96 and the oil always turned black soon after an oil change. It stayed stock till 60k miles or so, but modified injectors will significantly contribute to the black oil issue.

I also have a '97 with 250k miles on it, also bone stock, and the oil in that truck is still golden brown at 5k mile changes.
No idea why the difference...

·
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if he black oil is from the fuel getting past the rings. because the rings dont seat at idle. then wouldnt that cause the oil to smell like diesel?

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Fuel in the oil could be due to bad injector cups! Get a $20 sample at Blackstone and fast, you are possibly doing lower and cam bearing damage as we speak.

On a flip note, if you idle alot, then the fuel smell could be because you dont hit the highway for long enough periods to heat the oil and evaporate the fuel that doesnt burn during extended idling.

Just my .02,

Tony

·
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if thats the case might as well put bigger injectors in it too while im there LOL

·
1,921 Posts
Horsehaulin said:
Fuel in the oil could be due to bad injector cups!
With only coolant around the outside of the injector cups I'm not sure how that is going to put fuel in the oil???

Injector o-rings will put oil in the fuel but not fuel in the oil. The oil around the rings is at a higher pressure than the fuel so the fuel can't get into the oil.

I'd say most likely your issue is the soot in the oil probably giving it that smell. Unless it's a very distinct raw diesel smell. If so you might want to have it checked out. Does the oil level ever go up?

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Do the oil sample........

·
1,726 Posts
Used diesel engine oil has a distinctive smell. If you haven't been around any diesel engines before this is probably what you are noticing.

As already stated it would be the best idea to send in an oil sample. That will let you know for sure if you have issues.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
Do the oil sample........
How could you afford NOT to do an oil sample? They're amazing, although you'll be scared when you send it in if you've never done it before... LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts