The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning i came out to my truck and noticed a puddle underneath the front of my truck. i found out it was fuel and after more inspection found it was coming from the drain tube from the fuel filter housing. Now, it doesnt do it all the time, and i am kinda curious. Anyway, i looked on the back side of the fuel filter housing and noticed it was damp and there was a little bit, and i mean little amount of fuel in the engine valley. Has anyone ever seen one of these drain valves leak before. Maybe the valve is bad??? It has boggled my kind some. the fuel was definitely coming from the drain tube tho. The truck sat for 4 months while i was deployed and i just returned Saturday and i first noticed the leak Monday. Any ideas would be good. Thanks

Ken

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Welcome Home Ken and THANKS for serving!:usflag :bow:

This little problem your truck has, has become a common problem with the new fuel. You need to replace the O rings on the drain valve. You can get them at Ford (and take it up the whaaaazzzoooo) or get on Ebay and find some for around $5 -10.00.

I went to a Checker/Kragens and got a few for around $6.00

It is an easy fix.

·
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem is, i havent put in the new fuel into my truck yet. I filled my truck up before i left and that is what i am running on right now. I do not think they had the ULSD, but i could be wrong. But anyway, thanks for the input, i found a thread on thedieselstop and that is what everyone is saying too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The o-rings are 1/2" OD, 1/8" thick if you need to get new ones. Sometimes a piece of dirt of something just gets lodged in the valve and opening and closing it a few times fixes the problem. Sometimes the valve itself goes bad and the o-rings don't fix it, they usually do but not always. A good hydraulic shop should have the o-rings for less than a dollar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fuel Leak

I had same problem, talked to my Buddy who works as a mech. @ Ford dealer.
Just like the fellas above said , the shutoff valve went bad.
Mechanic said best bet is to replace the valve assy'.
Had to crawwl up on top of engine on foam w/ my feet sticking out past grill. Only way to access area after taking off Deco. cover over fuel filt. housing. Then removed wire loom hooked up back by firewall I believe (can't remember what it was @ the moment but you'll know what I'm talking about) to gain better access. The screws take a Torx socket bit to remove.
I used a 1/4" dr. ratchet& adapter to socket. Be prepared to have a telescoping magnet 'cause anything that drops down in the valley you can't reach - your paws can't get down in there!
Everything is kinda tight back there but, you'll get it after a "lil' muttering"
The part cost me w/ The Boeing Co. discount: $42 and some change.
GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's also O rings internally on the "spool" that rotates in the valve assy'.
I wasn't sure what was leaking, but I assumed it was leaking internally 'cause the fuel was coming out of the tube like it was being turned to drain??
Also it leaked more when eng. was 1st cranked up- fuel prolly thicker(which would cause higher pressure) from being cold i imagine??

·
Registered
460 Posts
rickster said:
There's also O rings internally on the "spool" that rotates in the valve assy'.
correct, this is mosty likely where it's leaking from. i read a thread a couple years ago about how the oring in question seals agains a curved surface. what happens is that the curved surface starts to wear a divot on one side of the o-ring. the most common "fix" is to flip over the oring to form a new seal. eventually that side will wear out & a new o-ring will be needed.

Later,
BG

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
IMAO replace the hole valve,just doing the o-rings might fix it now but after time the inside 0-rings will leak too. remember the fuel pressure inside the bowl is pushing on the 0-rings inside the valve,best to fix it right the first time.

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
you should replace the whole valve not just the O rings, if the O rings were the problem youd have fuel leaking down the fuel filter housing into the lifter valley not out of the drain tube. pretty common problem, easily fixable tho.

·
0 Posts
I had this very same problem last fall. I replaced the entire valve assembly with new orings and haven't had a problem.

And you think its tough on its own...you should try it with a big oil pump in the way. THATS a PITA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts