The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a strong diesel smell in the cab. Got to looking around and saw pulsating sprays of diesel from up near the top of the fuel filter cannister. I pulled off the canister and found a rubber fuel line about 6 inched long. I pulled it off and it has a pretty good surface crack in it. I am assuming this is the cause of the leak. My question is about getting a new fuel line, can I just go down to the local pepboys and get some high pressure fuel line? or does the fuel line need to be diesel rated? Please help. Thanks Dave

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
the rubber house comming off the over flow valve, running under the intake shelf..? I beleive that is a fuel return line I dont think it has to be a high pressure hose..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is diesel fuel hose different than gas fuel hose? Don't know if diesel will eat away at rubber of a gas hose or something weird like that..???

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Not that I know of.. also check the banjo fitting on top of the fuel filter housing... and while your at it check the rubber line going from the pre heater to the lift pump

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you happen to know the approximate fuel pressure that goes thru the return line??? I was thinking about 40-50 psi????????? Banjo fitting is dry,,,I could see a good spray that pulsed coming from the area of this hose,,but fuel filter cannister blocked getting a good look at it while it was running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
check the fuel filter if it is a pulator check under the rubber o ring on top for cracks at spot weld had 3 in a row 1000 mile on each switch to fram

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check the fuel filter as on mine I had a pulator. At 1000 miles it would start leaking . It cracked under the top o ring at the spot welds so went to fram filter and no problum . But took me 3 times to change. Also there is no diffrent in the rubber hose for gas or diesel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for post,,,,,,swapped out old, rotted fuel line and it seems to be running with alittle more pep. I wonder if old rubbr fuel line was letting a small amout of air into system? It is nice not to smell a strong diesel smell in the cab. I love this site,,,,,,,,even the best disels on the planet need repairs, and when they do it it nice to know that there is a site that can help out with some questions from time to time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts