The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Professional Grouch
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel level sending unit is bad. (shows 1/3 of a tank of fuel when the engine runs out of fuel) This is apparently a VERY common failure problem and apparently the replacement fuel level sending units are just as unreliable if not worse. :gaah

I have read up on a few capacitance type fuel level sensors and installing marine fuel level indicators.

I was not able to get a fuel sender when I had the tank off this weekend installing the Air Dog 150. If I have to drop the fuel tank to fix this problem, I want to fix it the RIGHT way ONCE. :nunu:

What is the latest greatest fix for this problem? :bdh

·
stock is boring
214 Posts
If you are going aftermarket for a sender you can custom order one from ISSPRO. I have had very good luck with their ULTIMATE FUEL LEVEL SENDERS. You will have to do some customizing to install in the original location. :peelout

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
If you are going aftermarket for a sender you can custom order one from ISSPRO. I have had very good luck with their ULTIMATE FUEL LEVEL SENDERS. You will have to do some customizing to install in the original location. :peelout
I would love to see this... Got Pics???

·
stock is boring
214 Posts
sorry I do not have any pics but what u need to do is take out the stock unit and cut a metal disc to fit inside the nut that holds the stock unit in place, cut a hole in the metal disc to put an aftermarket sender in and two more holes to put the new pickup tube and return in (keep in mind the tank is already coming out to put a pickup tube in for a fuel system) order the sender length to fit your tank and the proper ohm range.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There is also a thread on another forum (can't remember which one, but it was a Dodge/Cummins specific forum) which showed a mod where you leave the factory sender in place, and drill out the mounting pattern for the SAE J1810 flange into the tank where the gasoline rollover valve would otherwise go. We are planning to release a bolt-in fuel sender for that type of a modification, probably in the next several weeks.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I would love to see this new design... Hopefully it is low cost BOMB...:D

·
214 Posts
Somebody got something against plasma cutting? Knocked my post off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts