The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 F-250 with a 6 spd and 4X4, I bought it about three weeks ago with 87,640 miles, I am at 89,100 now. The first tank i ran through it showed to be getting 17.2 mpg. While filling up with my second tank I installeed a K&N air filter. The second tank showed to get 18.6 and tonight Showed 20.53 mpg. No Tuner but the truck had a MPRB Exhaust when i bought it. This is my first diesel, but it seems to be just the opposite of my gas burner, seems the harder i run the diesel the better fuel mileage i get? Just wondering why?

·
833 Posts
Are you going by the computer? If so then do some hand calcuations and make sure you fill up to the top of the neck and have the truck parked the same way (level, tilted ect) to ensure you get the same amount of fuel in the tank each time.

It honestly depends alot on how you drive your truck as to what mileage you get. If your truck is not staying warm then you'll be getting lower mileage so driving it a bit harder would get it warmer and give you better mileage.

My little brother has the same truck as a Crew Cab Longbed and gets around 15-17 on a normal tank but his drive to work is under 3 miles.

·
4,827 Posts
My grandpa had a '97 F-350. PSD, crewcab dually and 4.10. Never saw over 15mpg with his. :(

·
148 Posts
I've had my 2000 F250 for about a month now. I get right around 15 MPG on the nose as a daily driver. I towed my Jeep for the first time this weekend and got around 12 MPG towing. Not bad I guess, but I'd like to get those numbers a little higher.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don' t have the computer so i have been doing the calculations by hand. But my dad has a 2003 Duramax, we fueled up at the same place today and drove to our shop we showed to be off on our mileage he had 11.0 miles and I had 11.5 same trip. I could be off, may not be accuarate anyways. Thanks guys.

·
jammer
44 Posts
I get 17-18 in the winter and 18-20 in the summer, unless I have the 100hp program in, then 16 is average. The 100hp pgm does make me smile though!! :evil:

·
268 Posts
In my dad's truck stock we get around 17-18 and towing a 34ft 12,000 pound camper we get around 12-13, atleasts it better then a gas or V10 which would be getting like 5 mpg towing.

·
833 Posts
if your odometer is off then you'll want to reprogram it, I presume that you can reprogram the PSOM like you can in the 94-97 trucks but i'm not sure.

To check it go drive down the iterstate and pay attention to the milemarkers or if you have a GPS you can use that as well.

BTW my '95 gets me 14-18 depending on where my foot is and what speed I'm cruising. w/ a 10-14k load I drop down to around 10-12.

·
4,827 Posts
jermort said:
I get 17-18 in the winter and 18-20 in the summer, unless I have the 100hp program in, then 16 is average. The 100hp pgm does make me smile though!! :evil:
3.55/3.54 gears? My grandpa had 4.10s in his.

·
535 Posts
well the one i am buying the guys stated that if he keeps it under 2500rpm (55-65 he gets 18 and if he does 75-80mph he only gets 15, and towing a 20 ft trailier with a skid steer he looks at 11-13 so i am assuming that over the 2500 rpm mark is where the turbo is really working and thats where the lileage goes??? guess we will see if that oasis report turns up clean, also think gears are really going to affect your turnout, not sure how much but there are more than a few gear sets that get put with TD's

·
Registered
229 Posts
Most folks dont have a very high opinion of the K&N drop-in air filter, due to it lets too big of particles go through the filter. You can see through the filter, all it's catching is little bits of leaves and stuff, not dust from a gravel driveway.

This dust goes into the motor, and well, it's not good.

To each his own, but i will not run a K&N on a diesel. Gas, yes, diesel, no.

I would prefer to have an AIS from ford, but i have the stock airbox with a FoMoCo filter, and all surfaces greased.

·
72 Posts
The best mileage I have gotten lately is by driving by my pyrometer. Keep it under 600* all of the time. My last couple of tanks were all city driving and I got 16 mpg, hand calculated, chip set on 140h/p. Truck is a 2000 F350 4x4 RC BTS stock sized tires Tymar 4" from the turbo all the way back w/MBRP muffler. Also if you do not have a pyrometer then keep the RPM's under 2000 as much as possible.

·
203 Posts
We have the same year 250 chipped and nothing else. The truck gets driven alot has 274,369 the other day it still gets about 14 to 16 mpg.

·
535 Posts
well filled it for the first time thurs, this is on a 97 auto 7.3 4X4 when i filled it the first time i took 20 min to get EVERY last bit of foam out and topped it off to the brim, drove about 7/8 of a tank

here are the results 289.9 miles (i only uses the rear tank)
took 16.25 gal

comes out to 17.84 MPG

this is a stock truck tuned to tow safe mode with superchips i was not hauling anything ether (empty truck)

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for all the response, my truck has proven to get an average of 18 mpg highway, I get about 14 in town. I was playin with my uncle's tuner the other day and on the 100 hp setting I was getting 18.5 in town, too bad I didn't get to put it on the highway :-( I don't have to onboard system so i have to figure it by hand and i fill the tanks up all the way.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
While I do not personally own a 7.3L PSD, my very good friend does, and he's a salesman for a local repair shop and a racer so he puts a TON of miles on his truck every year, both empty and pulling his race trailer.

He has an F-350 SRW CC XLT Lariat 4x4 with trailer tow (4.10s I'm sure). He says that unless he's pulling, it gets 17-18 MPG. Pulling it's more like 14 MPG.

He calculates his mileage the CORRECT way, miles traveled/gallons used (longhand) and does not rely on the on-board display (which is typically close, but far from exact).

A co-worker drives is Dodge Gen2 about 130 miles/day commuting, and gets 22-24 MPG with that. It too has 4.10s.

·
4,024 Posts
Well I've noticed, since doing the exhaust and intake, I can travel 80 to 120 miles farther per tankfull. It depends how much I tow durring each tank.

Average is 15.8

I don't think thats to shabby for a DRW 4x4 pulling 6k to 12k at least twice a week. Average lenght of tow is 80 miles.

·
535 Posts
as an update to my post #14 as i stated that was with a tow-safe program tonight i got bored and put in the high perf, well did not notice any power increase, but did notice the tranny shifted much sooner with the tow setting it would not leave 1st till 2000RPM and 2nd till 2500RPM regardless of throttle kinda sucked when crusing at 35mph through town cause you were stuck in 2nd so maybe the high performance will yield me more mileage.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
just visiting said:
well the one i am buying the guys stated that if he keeps it under 2500rpm (55-65 he gets 18 and if he does 75-80mph he only gets 15, and towing a 20 ft trailier with a skid steer he looks at 11-13 so i am assuming that over the 2500 rpm mark is where the turbo is really working and thats where the lileage goes??? guess we will see if that oasis report turns up clean, also think gears are really going to affect your turnout, not sure how much but there are more than a few gear sets that get put with TD's
I get 15-16 @ 75 too and towing a flatbed trailer about 12-13. Funny thing about it is it doesn't matter much if the trailers empty or loaded. Mileage is within .5 a mile. 4x4 4:10 axle's.

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
why is it that a gas burner seems to get generally the same mileage with and without a trailer and our diesels get soo much less with a trailer, my father gets 12 with an empty trailer on his duramax, similar with the company owned PS. Or do those guys with gas burners lie? Buncha Liars

1 - 20 of 22 Posts