The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best tuner available for fule mileage, ease of hookup and least chance of engine damage. I am looking for mileage and also when towing my boat.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Personally I think the Edge Juice with Attitude is what you may want. If you are looking for ease of install or use the Edge would be my choice. If you want less chance of engine damage I would also go with the Edge. The Edge also gives you all the gauges you should need, the SCT you have to get your own gauges. Or has SCT gotten the monitor now?

I will probably get hammered by some of the others here that like the SCT. My reasoning is that if you just want a dependable truck with a bit more zip and economy the Edge seems to fit the bill. However, if you want a tuner that will make your truck more into a high performance truck for drags or sled pulling the SCT and custom tunes is what you need.

Some will tell you the Edge will fry your tranny, maybe in the past but not so now. Do a search on here and maybe some other places and see what the breakage rate is on the Edge and SCT. As of late I have been hearing of people that can't get enough of the custom tunes and keep getting them wilder and wilder til something lets go.

In the end the decision is yours and you have taken the first step in the decision process of which tuner is good for you.

I have the Edge and have used it with no problems/issue.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally I say get an SCT. We could set you up with 3 files that are not too aggressive and meant for a mild gain while going for improved economy. The nice thing about the SCT is that I can shutoff your EGR valve to eliminate any EGR cooler issues, something you can't do with the Edge.

As far as the trans, the Edge at low power levels isn't going to hurt your transmission but it still does not do the transmission programming that the SCT will do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I plan on going to a 4" stainless exhaust and maybe a mod or aftermarket air intake with a tuner on a 2003 F250 Crewcab 4X4 with the 6.0L.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well picked up my truck Saturday. Towed the car back from St Louis to Kentucky. Was just running the spped limits and using the ULSD fuel. I got 16.4 mpg. At the speed limit I was running 1750 to about 1900rpm's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Any day and all day 13,000lbs and getting 13.6 mpg!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
dam I got maybe 13 mpg stock on my 06 4x 6" lift with 37"'s s and I got an economy tune and got 11 and my hottest tunes got me 10 I would like some input from the guys with a similar setup as I to see if this is crappy or the norm. I thought my economy tune would have yeileded me better miles per gallon so I may be getting a new tune soon. what are the lifted 4x 6.0's getting for fuel mileage on tunes and stock?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts