The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ford F-250 7.3 powerstroke and I total it last year but I got it redone before the wreck I got about 18mpg now I get about 16mpg the truck was still running after I hit the other car but any way what is some of the things I can look for to get my mileage back?

·
608 Posts
resist the urge to floor it... you will find that is one of the biggest factors, one of the cheapest as well. other than that, just your standard open element intake, exhaust, and maybe a good econo tune. some guys are getting decent MPG gains from adding an ounce of 2 stroke ashless oil to one gallon of #2. use the cruise and resist the urge to mash it, and you will see your numbers go up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info but I just like to know why I got 18 before the wreck and now only 16 and I drive the same and by the way the truck is stock and it was stock before the wreck also.

·
608 Posts
oh sorry, how bad did you wreck it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes very much so but it is like new now it was total and I bought it back only because I know to truck and it was still running after I wreck it and total the other car out and I stop in the ditch after hitting a tree and taking the front wheel off it was not good but it is all ok now but my mpg is down alittle bit then what it was before the wreck.

·
2,509 Posts
your alignment could be off a little causing extra friction

·
608 Posts
ouch... many different things could be to blame, but it could just be that although is is like new now, it was still totaled at one point... thats beyond my expertise.

·
461 Posts
Maybe its because all of your sentences are 60 word run-ons and nobody can read wtf you're saying?

:damnit

I'd bet your frame isn't true, and you're dog legging/scrubbing/scraping down the road just enough to knock a few mpg off. 16 to 18 could be seasonal variation in diesel fuel, your fuel filter status, or hundreds of other factors.

Unless you fill the fuel until you can see it to the exact same spot in the filler neck every single time with no air trapped anywhere, you're going to get some variations. Are you running the same diameter tire? width? tire pressure? tread pattern? alignment?

Take an average over a few months to see if its improving or decreasing. This is almost within the margin of error of calculation.

Paul

·
608 Posts
paul was a little more descriptive with it, but that is my vote too...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help.

First of all Paulkeith sorry I'm not as good as you but thanks for you help.
On what I done try yes I full my truck all the times to the top untill it can't hold any more.
It was on a frame machine and it was good.
I took it and drove it from a pave road off on to sand to see if I was tracking and it look good.
I was getting my fuel from one place but I have try others now and when I do my mpg it is full all the way to the top and it is done with a pen and a paper.
And last the front end was aline but all I can say about that is the tires are at the right pressure and they are not wearing out they are looking good to me.

But if any thing some thing I miss please let me know thanks for all the help.

·
1,726 Posts
How long since you changed your fuel filter?

How about oil change?

These both can have an effect on fuel economy if you let it go too long.

·
461 Posts
You fill to within visual distance of the cap at every fill?

How many tanks over what time period did your "18" calculation come from? Ditto for the 16? Did you rebuild the truck with new OEM parts or junkyard parts?

Just because it was on a frame machine doesn't mean its back to 100% true. Just because you got the front end "aligned" doesn't mean your axle isn't bent or your new replacement axle isn't bent. Just because you drove it on sand doesn't mean something couldn't be out.

With solid axle leaf spring suspensions, your ONLY adjustment is toe, unless you start adding caster shims or special camber adjusting ball joints. You're putting a previously totalled and probably very tweaked frame back on the road and getting 16mpg with it, i'd say you're ahead of the game.

good luck
paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Paulkeith and Racehauler for the help

First I do oil and fuel filter change every 4000 miles

Second I the 16mpg was over about 12 tanks full ups and the 18mpg was a total of 2 years that I hade the truck.

Third it was new oem parts used

So I guess one day I will take it to a guy that is well spoke of on front ends on a Ford F-250 SD and let him look at it may be the other guy did not do as he said he was going to do.

Thanks for all the help Paulkeith, Racehauler, and Calebgriffin31

1 - 13 of 13 Posts