The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have my pyro and boost, but i need to by the fuel pressure, i have autometer phantom gauges, do i get machanical or electric, id like to do machanical because there so much cheaper, what all do i need to hook it up and how do i do it

·
Registered
57 Posts
MoparMan has a very nice set up there ! I would recomend the low fuel press. light as we'll !!! although the gauge is great, I managed to drive my truck about 5 miles with 0 fp ! a light will catch your eye much quicker then a guage droping. MoparMan thats a great idea on the valve for the fuel shut off, I may take my isolator out and do this. -Ethan

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Cummins2001 said:
MoparMan has a very nice set up there ! I would recomend the low fuel press. light as we'll !!! although the gauge is great, I managed to drive my truck about 5 miles with 0 fp ! a light will catch your eye much quicker then a guage droping. MoparMan thats a great idea on the valve for the fuel shut off, I may take my isolator out and do this. -Ethan
Back when the Campaign pumps were cheap I got 2 of them and they included a low pressure switch. So I using the low pressure switch in my setup. So right at 10 PSI my light comes on... Yeah my pump is getting weak I can pull a good 9.5 to 10 PSI now. But the RED LED flashing really will get your attention in the dark quick!

But As for the valve... Isolators have been around for long time. It was orignally designed for GASOLINE which has a very low flash point which makes it highly DANGEROUS to have gasoline in the cab. But with diesel fuel the flash point is about 140-160*F so the dangerous of a explosion or fire in the cab is going to be rare.

But todays #2 diesel and BIO tend to eat the diaphram out of most isolators on the market. So eventually you will have fuel all the way to the gauge. I've seen this before a couple of times. Also alot of poor fuel pressure reading are cause by a isolator...

As for my seup... I've used a needle valve Weatherhead PN# WH6820 from NAPA $8). All I do is seat the valve closed and barely even crack it open. This keep the pulses from the fuel pumps from ruining the gauge. The valve also gives you the ability of shutting down the fuel completely where a ioslator doesn't have (unless yo add a valve).

Just my 2 cent to the design...:sly:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts