The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make sure I was putting my sending unit in the correct place. I though it went on the side of the engine mounted fuel filter beside the fuel regulator. If I correct how many of you have had trouble installing the autometer unit. Mine would not fit, the shoulders of the adapter are hitting the regulator. A little help here would be nice, I brought the adapter to work with me so I can chuck it up in the laithe to cut down the shoulders if I need to. TIA paul

·
793 Posts
I wasn't aware of Autometer making an adapter to fit the fuel bowl:shrug: , I know ITP sells a kit, and I believe that Ford sells an adaptor. Is this the sending unit that came with the gauge? If so than it won't fit in the fuel regulator. If autometer is selling an adapter that fits now then I'm clueless.

·
113 Posts
bootcamp said:
Just wanted to make sure I was putting my sending unit in the correct place. I though it went on the side of the engine mounted fuel filter beside the fuel regulator. If I correct how many of you have had trouble installing the autometer unit. Mine would not fit, the shoulders of the adapter are hitting the regulator. A little help here would be nice, I brought the adapter to work with me so I can chuck it up in the laithe to cut down the shoulders if I need to. TIA paul
That's the correct spot.

It is very hard to get the correct adaptor and just screw it into the test port. You have clearance issue too. Here's what I did:

You'll have to get a hose from ITP Diesel that attaches to the fuel pressure test port (one with the hex head on it) and screw your Autometer sender into the other end. You will need to ground the sender then for it to work. I soldered a wire to the sender body, after sanding it, and then used a bolt on the fender well for the ground. I ran mine to the drivers side area by the ABS motor and fuse panel.:smoke

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response and yes autometer makes a 12x1.5 adapter that is suppose to fit but it hits the regulator. I have nothing to lose and will try to cut the edges down on the adapter on the laithe. Thanks

·
113 Posts
bootcamp said:
Thanks for the response and yes autometer makes a 12x1.5 adapter that is suppose to fit but it hits the regulator. I have nothing to lose and will try to cut the edges down on the adapter on the laithe. Thanks
It is pretty tight in there isn't it?

Let us know if you get it to work, and snap a couple of pictures too.
:smoke

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad I got to work and it will be another two weeks before i can try to install but will do my best to get the pictures. And yessir it is was really tight, I started to force it due to a lack of patience and something just overcame me and tols me to stop.Glad I did. later paul

·
323 Posts
I started out with the Commander fuel pressure kit which was total crap. It wasn't grounded and NEVER read correctly. It would bounce between 0 and 100 with the occaisional correct reading. Then the elbow cracked spraying diesel all over my engine. Thank GOD it was diesel and not gasoline.

I removed it and called Dennis at ITP to order his adapter hose. I also ordered an Isspro sender w/ ground and installed them yesterday. Now it reads rock steady. It just sucks that I had to pay ~70.00 to fix QZ's problem.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE do not spend the 70 extra bucks (like I did) for the QZ fuel pressure kit. Buy the hose (unreal quality) from ITP and get a real sending unit that can be grounded.

Oh yea, it's recommended you remove the airbox and the plastic cooler tube (05 and up) to gain better access to the fuel port. If you loosen both clamps on the cooler tube, you can remove the tube from the elbow and hold it up out of the way giving you great access to thread in the hose.

·
113 Posts
ciscofreak said:
I started out with the Commander fuel pressure kit which was total crap. It wasn't grounded and NEVER read correctly. It would bounce between 0 and 100 with the occaisional correct reading. Then the elbow cracked spraying diesel all over my engine. Thank GOD it was diesel and not gasoline.

I removed it and called Dennis at ITP to order his adapter hose. I also ordered an Isspro sender w/ ground and installed them yesterday. Now it reads rock steady. It just sucks that I had to pay ~70.00 to fix QZ's problem.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE do not spend the 70 extra bucks (like I did) for the QZ fuel pressure kit. Buy the hose (unreal quality) from ITP and get a real sending unit that can be grounded.

Oh yea, it's recommended you remove the airbox and the plastic cooler tube (05 and up) to gain better access to the fuel port. If you loosen both clamps on the cooler tube, you can remove the tube from the elbow and hold it up out of the way giving you great access to thread in the hose.
I'll second that!! I wouldn't buy Quadzillla's Fuel Pressure kit again either.

Here's how I fixed my Quadzilla Fuel Pressure Kit: :popcorn:

I bought the hose from ITP, got a floating ground sender from egauges.com, and put a 1 1/2" mechanical gauge from Jeg's tee'd on the end of ITP's hose. The Commander is now rock steady, and I have another gauge as a back-up. :woot:

·
323 Posts
I also bought the Isspro sender from eguages.com. A nice unit.....

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got the sender from autometer put in and it works just fine. I did end up putting it on the laith and cutting it down. Got it home thinking that I had cut it down enough , i was wrong. luckly my buddy had a grinder and was able to finish taking off the rest of it. Made a trip to san antonio and it work just fine reading 45psi give or take a few.
later Bootcamp

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
45psi is border line TOO low. ford specifies that it should be between 45-70 just a fyi, might want to trow a BB in the brass cap in the regulator on the fuel bowl.

·
113 Posts
bcarriveau said:
45psi is border line TOO low. ford specifies that it should be between 45-70 just a fyi, might want to trow a BB in the brass cap in the regulator on the fuel bowl.
Yes, 45PSI is too low. Mine runs 52 PSI steady. Only drops to 49 PSI running HARD.

Should I shim my regulator with a BB too?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
if you haven't it will bring you to abought ~60. thats where i sat. :Thumbup:

·
Black Smoke Junkie
356 Posts
How many psi gauge did you get? I'm going to be buying a fuel pressure guage and I can get the 30 psi or a 100 psi, which one do I get? I just want to order the right one the first time. Thanks.

·
793 Posts
go with a 100psi or you'll blow the 30psi gauge up as it will will be spinning circles if you shim the regulator you'll have around twice the capacity of the 30:hehe, and if your gauge drops to 30 you'll be running low on pressure anyways.

·
28 Posts
i have the DiPricol FP gauge and sender..Bill at Dfuser sent the correct adapter and everything went together just fine...

the sender is in the center of the pic(red on the end)..

Attachments

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the feed back on the fule pressure, I will do the BB mod the first chance I get. After pulling the camper and getting 8.5 mpg (sucks) this would make a difference. Again thanks. Its always a pleasure to get on this site and no that there is always possitive feed back.Thanks Bootcamp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts