The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have lots of room for gauges everywhere, and i want to keep my interior rather uncluttered, but i do need to monitor fuel pressure and i've decided to make a custom warning light (idiot light if you will) ...

i need to keep my grab handle, so i've a single gauge there (egt) and i've got a single gauge in a pod on my steering column (boost). i have a gauge for fuel pressure mounted on the side of my aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, but it's under the hood and does me no good there.

i believe i've got less than a hundred bucks in this mod, but it could be done for MUCH cheaper if you dont wanna pony up the dough for the nice steel braided lines w/crimped ends and earls fittings...
i purchased some -4steel braid line and earls -4 end fittings, a -4 to 1/8"npt adapter, a 1/8" npt "T", a 50psi pressure sensor/switch, several LED's (you only need one) and a pack of 1/2watt 680ohm resistors

i took the gauge off of the regulator and put a 90elbow -4 to 1/8"npt (oh yeah i bought one of those too) :damnit then the steel braid line (about a foot) and then screwed the "T" to the end of the line. the other end of the "T" i screwed the pressure sensor/switch (it closes when under 50psi to power the LED) and i relocated the gauge to the middle of the "T"

for wiring i found 12V keyed power off a fuse under the dash and ran it through the resistor the + tail of the LED.. the negative lead was ran thru the firewall to the sending unit, and then to vehicle ground. i fried the first LED of course because i didn't read that it needed a resistor :deal: :damnit

i had been needing to pull my boost gauge out and put a green bulb in it for a while now so it matches the rest of my dash/gauges, so i decided that i would drill a small hole in the bottom of the boost gauge pod to mount the LED... it is SUPER BRIGHT there is no way i won't see it come on !!

this is the way it looked before i started, this is the ITP regulated return fuel kit w/gauge mounted on regulator :

you can see where i replaced the gauge w/an elbow and some steel braid:

i made this little bracket that bolts to the factory bracket that holds the MAP sensor, and this will support the "T" w/the gauge and sending unit:

here it is all mounted w/the sending unit wired up and ran to ground:

the only problem is that it now blocks the dipstick for the tranny, so today i am going to move the "T" probably up higher on the firewall and get rid of the bracket idea.. i'll post up a pic of that tonight when it's done... i also don't have any pics of the LED in action , but here's some shots of the interior part of the install, i removed the boost gauge from the pod and drilled a hole in the bottom right of the pod , it's hard to see the LED it's a tiny white dot at the base of the pod:

tonight i will post up pics of the relocated sending unit, and a good pic of the interior w/the dash back together, and the LED in action...

·
2,821 Posts
Nice work. That seems like a good idea for those pushing the envelope. Chris

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because i'm not using an OEM fuel system..
this piece here replaces the factory fuel pressure regulator, and ties into my aeromotive regulator to send fuel back to the tank :

or were you talking about something else Heavy assault ?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the current setup allows me to know the fuel pressure at the injectors, which is the important part.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UpstateDieselGuy said:
Nice work. That seems like a good idea for those pushing the envelope. Chris
yes it's suprising to know just exactly HOW OFTEN the pressure dips below 50 !!

especially when the tank is under 3/4, any hard launches and the light comes on quite a bit, it's only on for a split second at a time, but that just shows how much the pressure actually fluctuates..
i think i am going to also get a 35psi sender, and then i will hook the 50psi sender to a yellow LED, and the 35 to the red LED.. then i should have a yellow "warning" and i can keep my foot in it, and then when/if the red lights up i can know to back off...
i may also have to send my FASS back for a new one, since there's NO reason it should ever dip that low, i actually used to be able to crank my regulator up to 70+psi if i wanted, and know the FASS won't put more than 60psi to the system.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nice work!! I would put the pressure switch on the port on the factory filter housing so you can see if the pressure is dropping before the heads instead of after.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DieselKid said:
Nice work!! I would put the pressure switch on the port on the factory filter housing so you can see if the pressure is dropping before the heads instead of after.
i don't think you guys understand, the fuel goes thru a bypass now, there is no more factory pressure regulator, but from there it goes THRU THE HEADS, and THEN TO THE REGULATOR, so the pressure gauge IS telling me the pressure of the fuel after it goes thru the heads... oh wait, now i see what you are saying, sorry i misunderstood your post, yeah i wonder if i'm actually losing pressure somewhere before it gets to my sticks, or if in fact my sticks are just over working the available amount of fuel ... that is a good point diesel kid...

i'm not sure i still have the stock pressure port though, since i replaced the side of the stock filter housing w/the custom billet piece from ITP, i will go out there and look at it right now.. thanks bro. ! ! !

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the stock pressure port that little plug looking thing right above the billet adapter ? and if so how do i remove that is it an allen it's hard to tell in the pic, and i haven't gone outside to look yet because i'm lazy :)

·
Pursuit Interceptor
735 Posts
LvTitan said:
is the stock pressure port that little plug looking thing right above the billet adapter ? and if so how do i remove that is it an allen it's hard to tell in the pic, and i haven't gone outside to look yet because i'm lazy :)

In your last picture yes it is the small plug next to the ITP part. With the picture right side up it's to the bottom to the left.

It was my understanding that the ITP part is just an adapter, the OEM pressure regulator is still used inside the housing(the spring and plug piece).

·
2,821 Posts
I have never seen the aftermarket setup in person so I'm not exactly sure of the layout, but could you not put a "T" in your feed to the heads from your FASS? Then you would see the drop before the heads, however this may not make a difference as the pressure drop is along the whole section to the Regulator. Still a great idea. Chris

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HeavyAssault said:
In your last picture yes it is the small plug next to the ITP part. With the picture right side up it's to the bottom to the left.

It was my understanding that the ITP part is just an adapter, the OEM pressure regulator is still used inside the housing(the spring and plug piece).
no the stock pressure regulator is actually removed/bypassed by the ITP system.. (dj's uses the stock regulator w/mods)
itp kit however does NOT use the stock regulator.. my fuel path is as follows :

from FASS to the stock regulator housing.. 2 outputs from regulator housing. one going to the front of each head. fuel then flows from the rear of each head into the aeromotive regulator. from the regulator it goes back into the stock regulator housing (via billet part) to be returned to the fuel tank via the factory return lines..

i'm not sure what you mean by the last picture "if it was right side up" the picture is right side up, and that plug/port is on the left ABOVE the ITP piece, or are you talking about something else ?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update, here's the new pics of the light completely installed w/the dash back together:

i also relocated the "T" /sender up onto the firewall because the bracket i made put it right in the way of the trans dip stick:

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is some video of the LED in action, i had just finished changing the filters on my FASS as well as replacing the entire fuel line from the FASS to the motor eliminating the old one that came with it, which had a bunch of splices and bottlenecks in it from old experiements ...
usually when i turn the key on , the LED "flashes" for a split second because the fuel pressure actually builds up super fast almost instantaneously.. but because i had just changed filters/fuel line, i thought this would be a good time to get some footage of the light because i knew it would be on for several seconds while fuel pressure built up and you could get to see it in action :
it's the red LED at bottom right of green boost gauge in video... :

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and i think the new filters/fuel line really made a difference, because even w/half a tank of fuel now i've been able to get on it pretty hard and not lose pressure... although i'm running a different tune also so that might have something to do with it also

·
Pursuit Interceptor
735 Posts
If you look through the ITP directions for their RR kit, there is a port that is to the lower left hand side of the factory regulator (ITP RR directions Pg 4 of 12, and 5 of 12 show this port the best). This is the factory test port used when checking fuel pressure.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay heavy, yeah that's the one i was looking at thanks.. will this show the pressure BEFORE or AFTER it goes thru the filter do you know ?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey heavy i apologize , i just looked at that pic again and i have no idea what i was thinking, you are right it's NOT right side up, it's sideways, and that plug is in fact on the bottom... wow sorry man i totally didn't realize i took it sideways till just now sorry for doubting you bro...

where can i get an adapter to thread into there that will allow me to thread a sending unit into it ?

·
Pursuit Interceptor
735 Posts
LV it's cool I figured it was just too late at night..:Thumbup:

I know there is a retailer that has an adapter that they were selling. It is basically a braided line with the fitting to go into the OEM port, then you hook up your gauge.

I would think reading the pressure at the OEM port will tell you if the pump isn't keeping up. The RR regulator should not pypass till the fuel pressure is ABOVE the set point you adjust it to when installing the system.

Does this sound correct?

·
Wolverine Vendor
632 Posts
LvTitan said:
no the stock pressure regulator is actually removed/bypassed by the ITP system.. (dj's uses the stock regulator w/mods)
We do not use the stock regulator. I'd like to ask you to refrain from making statements that you know nothing about.

DJ :evil:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts