The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:CHITFAN:

Ok so fuel is 3.29 here, im sure its higher elsewhere, but wtf. Anybody want to ask why we aren't drilling in alaska? We don't need polar bears and penguins, we need oil!!!! But seriously, I don't see how the oil companies can play the supply-demand game with a product required for national growth. How does the government expect farmers to plow, plant, or harvest running equiptment that burns $3 a gallon fuel. Almost the entire freight industry runs on diesel and it is also a major player in the auto industry (thats us). I understand that the U.S. needs to cut back on oil useage, but does that require punishing every person who drives a vehicle? The CEO of shell gave a lecture last week here and assured everyone that there was enough oil to last a couple of centuries. He predicted that alternative fuels would be here in 10-15 years, anybody want to guess what fuel will cost then... E85 seems to be the new big thing, but because its made of corn ranchers will have to fight with feed prices to be able to keep ranching profitable. Also since corn prices are going up more farmers will try to grown more corn and less of other things like cotton (clothes), wheat (bread), corn (corn) and this will just make prices go higher for common goods. Does that really help the economy. continue I blame OPEC, i don't know about everyone else, but i get the feeling that they are making a killing off of the U.S. Also even if hydrogen or electric cars come to be, how do they expect to completely phase out fossil fuels. I still want to get in my truck and hear it rattle when i start it, who wants to be driving a truck that feels like your driving a golf cart??? Also, electric vehicles don't produce the reliable power needed to haul freight, then to get rid of the batteries used in these cars you have to handle all the lead and chemicals inside the batteries. These car motors are made mostly of copper wire. What happens to the metal market when there is a huge demand for copper, i can tell you, everyone else suffers, electronics cannot be produced at a cheaper price and the consumer pays for it.

I just want to be able to keep my truck and i also want the aftermarket industry to keep making advances in performance technology for diesel trucks. I will walk before i own an electric car.
:shrug:

I guess my question is, does anyone else feel like they are getting the shaft on this fuel price deal??

·
400 Posts
Heck yes, i used to be able to fill up my truck with one swipe of the card now it takes two because when my card hits $100 the pump shuts off. I've never swiped it twice just too see how much it would really be. FYI Utah diesel is Avg. 3.65

·
1,189 Posts
well atleast your pumps will let you go to 100 it's 75 here and it's been from 3.51 I filled at yesterday to 3.69 close to me but have seen it at 3.79 in town what a joke. it costs more than super and takes less oil...:shrug:

·
307 Posts
3.17 here for reg diesel and 3.29 for 47 cetane.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Don't whine... Here is Turning Point Chevron in New meadows, Idaho!

And this just change to $3.929 as of yesterday...:damnit

·
27 Posts
don't worry that much it's only money and besides you can't take with you when you die. On the other hand there is always that died fuel to use. 3.29 for road fuel and 2.90 for farm fuel back here in missouri

·
1,465 Posts
It's $2.59 here in north central Ohio......I am really considering setting up the "still" and making my own fuel now and when that gets going the wife is gonna be driving a diesel then too. Screw OPEC and the oil companies and all the tree huggers that won't let us drill in Alaska. In fact the tree huggers should be glad that I'll be using bio-diesel since that will cut down on my emissions and black smoke.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
3.79 @ Ohio

Uhmm, the real killer behind it all. Is some how Biodiesel is getting a horrible rep. Yes you heard correct Biodiesel is getting a horrible repuation. I'm not exactly sure how. Some how between the fact that a the soybean price will go up and the glycol as the by product. Biodiesel is getting a bad rep.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
DIGITDIESEL said:
don't worry that much it's only money and besides you can't take with you when you die. On the other hand there is always that died fuel to use. 3.29 for road fuel and 2.90 for farm fuel back here in missouri
Just remember if you get caught with the dyed fuel it might cost you $150-$250 per gallon in fines...:pointlaugh

·
Registered
83 Posts
$3.59 here in south western pa.
thinking of going back to running offroad fuel agian....lol

·
307 Posts
Just my opinion but, is it worth the fine, saving .30 a gallon. If you get 30 gallons you save $9, in va the fine starts at $1000, then goes up. The road I take to work, everyday, has the D.O.T. doing inspections. But, if you live somewhere you never get pulled it might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
iwannagofast said:
Just my opinion but, is it worth the fine, saving .30 a gallon. If you get 30 gallons you save $9, in va the fine starts at $1000, then goes up. The road I take to work, everyday, has the D.O.T. doing inspections. But, if you live somewhere you never get pulled it might be worth it.

Uhmmm, then yah. They don't check tanks around here. They worry more about drunks and druggies.

·
1,055 Posts
3.75 in San Diego, and the pumps turn off at $75:damnit , could be worse, Europe is like $6 or $7 a gallon. I only see it getting worse. I also don't think it will be long before the price of everything goes up, trucking companies are not going to take all the cost on themselves.

·
307 Posts
When we order concrete, they have a minimum of a $75 fuel fee. We did a job just down the road from the plant the other day, you could see the plant and hear the trucks pull out, on the bill 75 bucks for the fuel to drive less than 1/2 mile round trip!!!!!!!!!

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, I have a friend from Ireland that was just over at the house the other day and he said that they're paying roughly 7.70 a gallon for gas. So we've still got it good. I would be all over bio-diesel, except that around here, its at or over $4.00 per gallon and its a PITA to make it yourself, cause a local Bio-D producer is already collecting most of the used fryer oil that is available. Diesel is sitting fat and happy at around 3.85 per gallon too.

As far as Electrics not having the power to haul freight, I don't know about that one. Most locomotives these days are a diesel Electric system. The diesel engine functions as a generator for the electricity and an electric motor does the grunt work.

There are tons of reasons that the price of oil is rising, a supply shortage isn't really one of them, although soon the only stuff left will be more difficult to get. I blame it all on Rapid global development. China is developing extremely rapidly now and has a huge demand for natural resources and is willing to pay what it costs to get them. Notice how steel and copper prices have sky rocketed out of proportion with the way many other prices are increasing. OPEC sets the prices on oil, based on what people are willing to pay for it. Really its the Saudis and the Venezuelans getting rich. Its just free market capitalism thats come back to bite us in the *** if you ask me.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
Sorry double post.

·
307 Posts
In Virgina gas is taxed 17.5 cents and 16 cents on diesel. Look at this site, the list that comes up has every state and what the taxes they pay on fuel. These numbers are just state taxes, no federal added
Go to www.virginiagasprices.com/tax_info.aspx

·
307 Posts
Found the federal tax numbers 18.4 on gasoline and 24.4 on diesel. Gotta love the Gov.

·
Registered
22 Posts
StrokeThisGoat said:
:CHITFAN:

Ok so fuel is 3.29 here, im sure its higher elsewhere, but wtf. Anybody want to ask why we aren't drilling in alaska? We don't need polar bears and penguins, we need oil!!!! But seriously, I don't see how the oil companies can play the supply-demand game with a product required for national growth. How does the government expect farmers to plow, plant, or harvest running equiptment that burns $3 a gallon fuel. Almost the entire freight industry runs on diesel and it is also a major player in the auto industry (thats us). I understand that the U.S. needs to cut back on oil useage, but does that require punishing every person who drives a vehicle? The CEO of shell gave a lecture last week here and assured everyone that there was enough oil to last a couple of centuries. He predicted that alternative fuels would be here in 10-15 years, anybody want to guess what fuel will cost then... E85 seems to be the new big thing, but because its made of corn ranchers will have to fight with feed prices to be able to keep ranching profitable. Also since corn prices are going up more farmers will try to grown more corn and less of other things like cotton (clothes), wheat (bread), corn (corn) and this will just make prices go higher for common goods. Does that really help the economy. continue I blame OPEC, i don't know about everyone else, but i get the feeling that they are making a killing off of the U.S. Also even if hydrogen or electric cars come to be, how do they expect to completely phase out fossil fuels. I still want to get in my truck and hear it rattle when i start it, who wants to be driving a truck that feels like your driving a golf cart??? Also, electric vehicles don't produce the reliable power needed to haul freight, then to get rid of the batteries used in these cars you have to handle all the lead and chemicals inside the batteries. These car motors are made mostly of copper wire. What happens to the metal market when there is a huge demand for copper, i can tell you, everyone else suffers, electronics cannot be produced at a cheaper price and the consumer pays for it.

I just want to be able to keep my truck and i also want the aftermarket industry to keep making advances in performance technology for diesel trucks. I will walk before i own an electric car.
:shrug::censored

I guess my question is, does anyone else feel like they are getting the shaft on this fuel price deal??
Were getting in one end and out the other cause bush is getting his fill of money before he gets out of office:so screw him

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I talked to my German freinds and I they pay something close to $7 a gallon but I don't feel bad. There Diesel fuel is alot better and their diesel technology is alittle further along then ours. One of my freinds has a 2006 or 2007 BMW stick (so it might be a 6 or 7 speed!) don't remember for sure. She does like 50 MPG. Also she claims her mileage stays decent on the Autobahn, and she can hardly hear it running, just a slight wine, from what I persume is the turbos. Also I don't feel sorry for them because they can get beer at McDonalds and their candy is alot better than ours:

They always bring me over candy to spoil and it just leads to me hardly ever eating our candy.

cedardiesel said:
Were getting in one end and out the other cause bush is getting his fill of money before he gets out of office:so screw him
Nope, the government is honest and pure. They would never lie to us. Only straight shooters there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts