The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok with gas prices being as high as they are and still rising I just wanted to know some options and possibly mods to help save gas.

So far the usual being fass, injectors, chip, possibly turbo. All used in moderation can help save gas, but what else can be done to help fuel milage?

Im sure this post will be kinda helpful for some, especially for those in places where diesel is pushing 4 bucks a gallon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Carbur8tr said:
Ok with gas prices being as high as they are and still rising I just wanted to know some options and possibly mods to help save gas.

So far the usual being fass, injectors, chip, possibly turbo. All used in moderation can help save gas, but what else can be done to help fuel milage?

Im sure this post will be kinda helpful for some, especially for those in places where diesel is pushing 4 bucks a gallon.
1.Synthetic Oil.......
2.Get rid of your fan if you don't need it and
3.maybe cardboard in front of the radiator(that's what I've done, do whatever it takes to stabilize your temp)
4.Make sure your truck is properly alligned. That's a big one. If you want demo on how much your allignment can drag your truck down. Push your truck in Neutral with correct alignment, then push your truck with the toe set really far in. You'll get the picture pretty fast.
5.Tire PSI.
6.Evans Waterless Coolant.
7.Truck bed cap/Aerodynamics
8.190F Thermostat
9.Make sure your engine is plugged in whenever possible
10. Keep your speeds down, the truck isn't aerodynamic and that hurts MPG
11. Intake Elbow
12. Tires make sure your tires are ok.

That should get you started.

Nothing helps these things out with their gas mileage.
Diesel is a different story. I'd start to use the term "fuel" it's more politically correct. Espically in a era wear alternate fuels are now being used.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Everything Philly just said and...

Try and keep you Boost below 5 PSI and your pyro below 600*F...
For every 5 MPH over 55 MPH your losing about 1 MPG!!! It takes fuel to create heat and the more pressure the more fuel!

* Straight pipe exhaust
* BHAF or similar
* Smaller tires (235/85 R16 or smaller yet)
* Reduce your height.
* If you got a Edge Comp 4x4 is the best setting for MPG (Most timing at low boost)
* Keep the weight out of your pickup... Don't haul junk around with you.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
282 Posts
Heavy foot is the easiest thing to fix.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
I thought 4x1 would do that..............
WRONG! There is no addition timing or fuel delivered till you exceed the de-fuel mode.
(Sublevel and boost pressure)
1 = 20 PSI
2 = 15 PSI
3 = 10 PSI
4 = 0 PSI
5 = 0 PSI

So you need a sub level of 4 or 5 to be out of de-fuel mode... This information came from Edge Tech Dept itself...

The de-fuel modes was made for larger injectors and laggy turbos so you could control your smoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
I disagree. on my truck when im rolling down the road i can turn my from stock to 1x1 and hear a little increase in timing rattle. It starts adding timing on every setting, but it doesn't reach its max levels untill it gets to that boost pressure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Funny...

I'm just relaying what I was told from the Techs at Edge... As for timing there is no extra timing till you exxceed the de-fuel mode.

But when I check with my ScanGauge II my MPG number goes up instantly when using sub-level 4 or 5. The highier the main level the more timing... So 4x4 and 5x5 give some good MPG numbers...

So if I switch back to 1x1 I lose roughly 3-4 MPG instantly... (Loss of timing advancement - Cruising boost is about 2-3 PSI at 65 MPH)

You might want to get one of these ScanGauge II's they really do settle a lot of myths about performance parts...:Thumbup:
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/scangauge2/scangauge2.htm

The data is live data straight from both ECM and PCM computers...
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
400 Posts
Depends on if you have an auto or a stick. mine is a stick but in the menu you can set up have the fuel is on your shifts. i.e most responsive or less smoke. Less smoke equals more MPG's but in my experience the milage stage gives me the best numbers 1, i'm not hot rodding as much 2, it doesn't fuel as hard as my hot stage when i get into it when shifting gears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
tbroadus_41 said:
Depends on if you have an auto or a stick. mine is a stick but in the menu you can set up have the fuel is on your shifts. i.e most responsive or less smoke. Less smoke equals more MPG's but in my experience the milage stage gives me the best numbers 1, i'm not hot rodding as much 2, it doesn't fuel as hard as my hot stage when i get into it when shifting gears.

I agree, I have had the best experience with the lowest levels on the box.

Moparman:
The reason your scanguage says that is because it doesn't account for the altered fueling curve that the edge puts in with the pump wire. It is putting in more fuel than the ecm registers, which is why the guage (just like the overhead display) changes when the levels change.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
StrokeThisGoat said:
Moparman:
The reason your scanguage says that is because it doesn't account for the altered fueling curve that the edge puts in with the pump wire. It is putting in more fuel than the ecm registers, which is why the guage (just like the overhead display) changes when the levels change.
Ahh this is where you got me wrong again...:damnit

ScanGauge II is dead accurate with MPG numbers to what I keep handwritten...(Maybe +/-0.1 MPG off)As for changes you can watch the GPH (Gallons Per Hour) rise and fall as you vary the Edge Comp... I can change to any level or sub level and still be dead acurracte with ScanGauge II...

I calibrate my ScanGauge II even time I fill up with fuel so it about 99% right on for MPG number compared to the Overhead Idiot that cannot be calibrated every fillup. I've calibrated my ScanGauge II with a GPS to get the speed and distance accurate. Currently I'm running a +6.7% offset for calibration.

The only thing I wish it could see was IGN timing. But that function is NOT available on a diesel...LOL

Once again it a great tool to rid the internet of these myths...:Thumbup:

Under acceleration


Cruisin' Light footed...


MPG number display is instant MPG. It varies to the lightest touch of the throttle. MAP is boost Pressure (Absolute PSI). GPH is Gallon Per Hour. LOD is percentage of load for given RPM.

Naw... It nowhere like the overhead computer it better! :Thumbup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts

·
Official TDG Doctor
Joined
·
5,281 Posts
I have my Smarty on "Fuel Saver" and have seen 2.5-3 mpg increase...Today dad is pulling the horse trailer (2 horse bumper) about 225 miles round trip, and has the comp on 1x2. We'll see how that works out.

Nathaniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
ScanGauge II is dead accurate with MPG numbers to what I keep handwritten...(Maybe +/-0.1 MPG off)As for changes you can watch the GPH (Gallons Per Hour) rise and fall as you vary the Edge Comp... I can change to any level or sub level and still be dead acurracte with ScanGauge II...

I calibrate my ScanGauge II even time I fill up with fuel so it about 99% right on for MPG number compared to the Overhead Idiot that cannot be calibrated every fillup. I've calibrated my ScanGauge II with a GPS to get the speed and distance accurate. Currently I'm running a +6.7% offset for calibration.

MPG number display is instant MPG. It varies to the lightest touch of the throttle. MAP is boost Pressure (Absolute PSI). GPH is Gallon Per Hour. LOD is percentage of load for given RPM.

Naw... It nowhere like the overhead computer it better! :Thumbup:
Kenny Gollaher said:
When you put an aftermarket product on your vehicle, it fools the trucks computer (ecm). By doing that, it will cause the overhead to read improper. We only affect the Average mileage and instant mileage gauges. Just let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,



Kenny Gollaher

Western Inside Sales Manager

MSD Performance
I totally understand that you can adjust the scanguage2 to give accurate fuel economy readings on one individual level. I don't understand how it can be instantly accurate on the other levels of your comp box unless the scanguage2 were adjusted to compensate for the fueling curve change with each individual level. I say this because the scanguage takes its reading from the OBD2 port which is linked to the ecm and pcm. The two computers give different readings to the scanguage when they get different inputs. So if you have the scanguage set to compensate for a certain reading from the ecm, then the scanguage will give an inaccurate reading when the ecm gives a different reading making the mileage readings inconsistant on different levels.

I guess i just don't get how the scanguage can adjust itself when the ecm gives a different error percentage. :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
I have my Smarty on "Fuel Saver" and have seen 2.5-3 mpg increase...Today dad is pulling the horse trailer (2 horse bumper) about 225 miles round trip, and has the comp on 1x2. We'll see how that works out.

Nathaniel
Your stacking the Comp, with a the Smarty on Fuel Saver? I would think you would have too much timing advance. The Smarty on fuel saver puts emphasis on it's "Really Aggressive Timing" they don't even recommend towing??? Then your stacking with a fuel/timing box. Uhmm. I guess you got it to work though! I was kind of wondering if it would.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
All I can tell you that SG II has been right on the money for MPG calcs.

I tend to change my Edge Setting depending on my road conditions and attitude for the day. Like with snow on the ground I might turn down to 2x2 to control the slippage in deep snow. But I might get back down into Whitebird, ID and deside on pounding on it at 5x5...

But when all is said and done when I fill up my tank and I check the amount SG II said I burned is the about the time the pump handle goes CLICK! close to the amount shown on SG II...

I look at it and double check my handwritten number against displayed numbers. If the vary +/- 1 MPG I will re-calibrate it. Normally its within +/- 0.5 MPG. Most of that error is because the SG II doesn't come on right away when you start the engine. So mileage number tend to be low.

I think what it is the ScanGauge Can see flow rate within the VP44 pump after Edge products and enhanced the fuel rate... GPH values always change with change of Edge Settings... :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:
I tend to change my Edge Setting depending on my road conditions and attitude for the day. Like with snow on the ground I might turn down to 2x2 to control the slippage in deep snow. But I might get back down into Whitebird, ID and deside on pounding on it at 5x5...
Bare with me here I'm burned out.



But...........You said you get your best MPG at 4x4, but most timing at 5x5. Wouldn't you be getting the same timing 5x4?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Bare with me here I'm burned out.

But...........You said you get your best MPG at 4x4, but most timing at 5x5. Wouldn't you be getting the same timing 5x4?
Hang in the Phily...

Sorry to say I've got a software bug in my Edge Comp... If I reduce my 5x5 to 5x1 then all the other level below fall in power too... As long as 5th level stays max'ed then the 4th level is good...

I sent mt Edge comp back 4 times and each time it got worse... So I told them to send me a NEW one unaltered and I back to square one..

So if I go to 5x1 all the other level are like 1x1, 2x1 etc... It acts like there is no power at all...

But watching the SGII the MPG is the highest on 4x4... I've tried 5x4 and it slid a bit not much but now the power is down too... 5x5 the MPG slid is about a full 1 MPG and power is good... So to get the most out of the Comp without the bug hanging me I run 4x4...
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top