The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm not looking for all this outrageous power like in some of the other threads but I was wondering what would help? I've got DJ's tunes with air intake, straight through exhaust and that's pretty much it, what I'm wanting to know is would like a mild fuel system or like a better turbo for towing be better? I do alot of towing so I'm looking for something like that. Somebody help point me in the right direction!:popcorn:

·
137 Posts
I am currently running tunes from DP Tuner and did not have enough fuel to run an extreme program which is pretty common for some of these extreme tunes vendors are writing for the SCT. I am currently running an Airdog 150 piggy backing the stock pump that should give you enough fuel for just whatever programs you are running with an SCT. I also have a regulated return kit from ITP diesel that way in the future when I upgrade my turbo and injectors I have all the fuel I need I would recomend an Airdog 150 or a FASS for what you are wanting to do I just tried to help by giving an example with what I am doing. The vendors on this site should be able to help you out more and get you setup.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you add a fuel system like your talking about that's dumping more fuel right? This would mean more smoke right?

·
2,035 Posts
Any of the stage 1/regulated return systems should give you a little more fuel. I have DJ's fuel + on my truck and I noticed a little more umph on low end and it seems to have a little more on top end as well...just seems like it makes the tunes work a little better.

Only reason I put a fuel system is because I want to go to 190cc injectors. If you don't want to go further than just a tuner and exhaust I wouldn't worry about a fuel system that much.

·
2,035 Posts
Rigwelder25 said:
When you add a fuel system like your talking about that's dumping more fuel right? This would mean more smoke right?
Not adding more fuel, but adding more consistency to the volume of the fuel. Lots of times the stock hoses and regulator are undersized and will end up starving some of the injectors on a tuner...the fuel system just allows the truck to pump a higher volume of fuel more consistently without starving out.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right that's what I'm wanting to do is eventually going to 190's but not right now, I heard that like you said even with the stock sticks with a tuner it doesn't even give it enough fuel correct? And isn't there some kind of turbo I could get just for say towing right?

·
2,035 Posts
Yea, even with stock sticks I think the injectors might starve a little in the upper RPM's. You should be fine on stage 1 fuel with some 190's.

You can get a towing turbo. I'd probably stay with stock...the 190's should run fine on the stocker. A towing turbo would probably give a litte more power and probably clean up a little better, but for the money...I would stick with stock turbo if you mostly tow. I would probably stay with stock sticks if I mostly towed as well, but that's your call.

If you are 4x4 you can get SCT (with the right tune) and exhaust and run high 13's. That's pretty impressive for a vehicle over 7k lbs. and will shock a whole lot of people.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But on the fuel system deal, I've still got stock head bolts would that be a no no with the extra fuel or would that be ok for now?

·
2,035 Posts
You'll be fine. Like I said it's not increasing the amount of fuel, it's more or less allowing the truck to flow a consistent volume of fuel over a wider RPM range.

·
135 Posts
But on the fuel system deal, I've still got stock head bolts would that be a no no with the extra fuel or would that be ok for now?
Yes, you'll be OK. HD_F250 is right, its not really increasing the amount of fuel at injection, its increasing the consistent availability and quality of the fuel. It makes more fuel available for the hotter tune to be able to get all the fuel it demands, so the tune is the "safety net" for the gaskets. The system is a Regulated Return system that creates a continuous loop of fuel. The theory is to provide a constant supply of fuel to the injectors whereas the stock system basically splits fuel delivery to the right/left banks of injectors and the ones at the "end of the line" will sometimes starve for fuel at WOT (dead-head issue). Really important to eliminate air from the injection as well as have enough fuel to provide lubrication for the injector. Don't expect a huge performance increase (like a tuner) but a smoother running truck and happier 6.0.

The FASS or AirDog compliments the Reg-Return system by taking care of filtering water and air from the fuel and pushing it along to the RR system or stock one if still being used.

Hope this helps.

Amp

·
2,035 Posts
After installing the fuel system I notice my truck runs a little quieter at idle, smoother, and I did notice a little difference in power, but it's minimal.

The big thing for me was prolonging the life of the injectors because if you are continually starving them you'll burn them up eventually...injectors aren't cheap either.

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I go with DJ's fuel+ do I got get the air dog or no?

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Rigwelder25 said:
Right that's what I'm wanting to do is eventually going to 190's but not right now, I heard that like you said even with the stock sticks with a tuner it doesn't even give it enough fuel correct? And isn't there some kind of turbo I could get just for say towing right?
a good fuel pump like a FASS not only guarantees you will keep adequate fuel pressure but also removes air from the fuel so you get more quality fuel to your injectors. yes it is true that if you run a hot enough file your stock fuel pump will not be able to keep up pressure at safe levels.

i run a 150/180 fass along w/ITP regulated return system and my fuel pressure stays rock steady at 55psi even w/my 190's at wide open on the dyno.

the main reason to get a different turbo if you tow is because the VGT design of the stocker is a major choke point and is the reason the 6oh's run such high egt's..
if you tow a lot, i would go with a nonvgt turbo but just dont go too large w/the exhaust housing because that is what determines the "lag" or spool rpm of the turbo

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So they do make a turbo that would be just made for towing like that? But what all do you have to change with the turbo or would that be something you could just put on and then upgrade like the fuel later or what?:popcorn:

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
Rigwelder25 said:
If I go with DJ's fuel+ do I got get the air dog or no?
or you can get the ITP kit it's quite a higher quality unit and well worth the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts