The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 f250 7.3 IDI.
Just bought it, the previous owner told me he uses the front tank only, he said someone told him if he tries to switch to the back tank and it doesnt work or its been empty too long it could cause him major problems with air / fuel to the pump.

My question is, if I want to try to use the rear tank what or would you you recomend I try to see if it works, and what do I do if it doesnt and I get the air lines air locked?

I sure would like to have both tanks, the one front tank sure is small.
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if it does work will it shove a buncha air to my IP and get me air locked causing me hours of grief?

·
3 Posts
If it hasn't had fuel in it for sometime I would drop it, clean it out, Check for leaks, the pickups probably broke off, reinstall and then check fuel lines and tank selector is working. alot of work for an extra 15 gallons.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont sound like much but on long hauls thats an extra 200 + miles & 2 hrs of travel time, but yur right a lotta work.

·
279 Posts
If it doesn't work flip the tank back to the front tank. Do this with a hot engine. If you have to bleed the fuel system it will not be a big deal.:D

·
178 Posts
1: put fuel in rear tank.
2: remove fuel line for rear tank, from selector valve. Blow in rear tank, see if you get fuel thru the line. If so, reconnect.
3: start engine on front tank, then switch to rear tank. If engine starts to sputter, immediately, switch to front tank, and increase engine rpm's to 1500, until engine levels out. If after 2 or 3 times it won't run on rear tank, you may have an issue with the selector valve.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put some fuel in the tank, flipped the switch, the fuel guage went down to a different level, and the truck never missed a lick. Does this mean its working?
Suppose the valve or what ever didnt switch under the truck could it be possable im still running on the first tank? Does the difference in fuel level reading mean absolutely that im working on dual tanks?

·
12 Posts
I've got a 90 F150 with the dual tanks, when I switch tanks the fuel guage changes because the tanks are at different levels IMO I'd run for a while and watch the guage change as fuel is used but to me it sounds like you have a winner

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i put different amounts of fuel in each which shows its readind bothe tanks, just hope its actually feeding from them both when switched or i'll be on side the road bleeding my lines if its not. Thanks for the input!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts