The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about having a full transgo and maybe a converter installed in my transmission sometime soon.

Would you trust a reputable transmission shop install a shift kit. I have thought about doing it but NO Thanks!!! If I can some up with the money I might throw a converter in there. Im looking to hold the Quad S2 (215hp) maybe or just the Diablo on 120hp.

What would labor be for just the transgo. I dont really want to pay double labor to do the shift kit then do the TC later but it may just have to work that way.

Unless there is anyone in Texas who would be willing to help for cheaper than the going mechanic rates???!!!???!!?!?!

Thanks
Jamie

·
38 Posts
if you are looking to have someone do it i would try to find someone that has done work on allison transmissions first, if not go to a reputable transmission shop and talk to them before you decide to let them tear into it

while you have it out if i were you i would look at suncoast stage III it includes new converter, the price of transgo and converter wont be much less. and you wont have much more in labor costs if they already have transmission out and apart if you take it somewhere

if you have done any transmission work, with a good manual and patience you could do it yourself.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
I would do it myself if I were you... otherwise to just pay a shop its a murderous amount of money for just a shift kit.

·
116 Posts
tahoedmax said:
I would do it myself if I were you... otherwise to just pay a shop its a murderous amount of money for just a shift kit.
Not so if it doesn't work and someone has to rip it out and diagnose the problem. Could be more damage the second time around. I take in a lot of tech calls every single day and I don't think everyone should be doing this on their own.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
Mike L. said:
The install is not bad at all and I would recommend it very highly. Best bang for the buck for your Alli.
Not everyone. But i dont think this is over mechanically inclined people's heads. You were the one who told me the install wasnt bad mike.

·
116 Posts
tahoedmax said:
Not everyone. But i dont think this is over mechanically inclined people's heads. You were the one who told me the install wasnt bad mike.
That was me talking about the Transgo jr. The full kit requires more work and partial disassembly of trans. Yes it is not too hard but not exactly a walk in the park. Not everyone can do this.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
oh ok well i was confused because that thread was started by me about and LB7 and i was asking about the transgo..

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Im not a mechanic but I have done injectors in a cummins and a few other odds and ends on a dodge but I dont know anything about automatic transmissions. I have never been inside on nor pulled one. I think with a good manual and maybe a few calls to mikeL I might could get it done. I just dont want to get 6 hours in this deal, get REALLY lost, and be with out a operating transmission and a driveable truck.

Jamie

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
Diamond3Max said:
Well Im not a mechanic but I have done injectors in a cummins and a few other odds and ends on a dodge but I dont know anything about automatic transmissions. I have never been inside on nor pulled one. I think with a good manual and maybe a few calls to mikeL I might could get it done. I just dont want to get 6 hours in this deal, get REALLY lost, and be with out a operating transmission and a driveable truck.

Jamie
I feel you there. Im lucky enough to live by a guy whos built a few good alli's and is going to help me out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.