The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 95 GMC 3500 HD service truck at an auction for a friend. It has a 6.5 L diesel... Was listed as having bad injectors... It was a PSE&G truck (that is the electric and gas utility in NJ).. the fuel smells like paint thinner, though I haven't smelled it myself, I think someone accidently put gas in the fuel and that is what is causing the problems... Apparently they put a brand new injector pump on it... My friend is going to run a line to a can of fresh diesel and see if that helps..

The vehicle runs , but makes top end noise and smokes... heavy black smoke... and the trans is burned up as well...

I think we could buy a used 6.5 with ECM for $1000 or less... It might not last long though...

Any thouhts or suggestions...

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I've got a 6.5L Chevy as well that we have in the Fire House (Salmon River Rural Fire Dept). It got issue with the pump as well but a shot of 2 cycle oil has stop the problems on that truck completely...

So I would drop the fuel tank and drain out the fuel and start over with fresh fuel. Ad a shot of 2 cycle oil to the fuel and that will help re-lube up the fuel system after having bad fuel in the system...

·
1,836 Posts
It just probably has excess amounts of additive in the fuel - if it smells like paint thinner. One of the tricks to chemically clean injectors - run the fuel low, dump cleaner additive in for a full load of fuel, run short time and let set with the mix in the fuel system. After it has set at least overnight fill the tank. The drill worked fair for the old fuel, poor for LSD and really rotten for ULSD.

The choices are;
Pull the tank and clean the last tablespoon of fuel out, add fresh and with the return line going to a container other than the tank catch a quart of 2 from the return line to get it all out of the system.

Put a pump on the supply line to the filter and suck the tank until no more comes out, add 10 gallon of fresh fuel and catch the return for a quart or 2.

Add 2cycle for the tank capacity at 1 oz per gallon and fill the tank.

or
My choice would be to hook the electric fuel pump to the fuel line at the lift pump and pump off the tank, add a pint of 2cycle and 10 gallons of fresh fuel, hook the discharge of the pump to the lift pump and pump a couple of quarts of fuel out of the return line to clear the old fuel out of the filters, lines and IP. I would use the old fuel at 1:10 or 1:20 so I did not have to pay hazmat disposal and would not care if it went in a gas or diesel.

I bought my Dodge with the fuel light flashing and it sounded like the fuel was contaminated with gas so The seller was motivated. I went 15 miles to fill with ULSD and 1oz per gallon 2cycle. The noise was gone in 5 miles and it has improved quite a bit since. First tank just made 17mpg and it has gone to a solid 20mpg over the last 12k miles. The only change that might affect mpg is the BHAF, it has a t shirt over it to keep it clean and a valve adjustment so I think the 2 mpg is from 2cycle.

keydl

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
:whs :agreed:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts