The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 95 GMC 3500 HD service truck at an auction for a friend. It has a 6.5 L diesel... 83,000 mi.. Was listed as having bad injectors... It was a PSE&G truck (that is the electric and gas utility in NJ).. the fuel smells like paint thinner, though I haven't smelled it myself, I think someone accidently put gas in the fuel and that is what is causing the problems... Apparently they put a brand new injector pump on it... My friend is going to run a line to a can of fresh diesel and see if that helps..

The vehicle runs , but makes top end noise and smokes... heavy black smoke... and the trans is burned up as well...

I think we could buy a used 6.5 with ECM for $1000 or less... It might not last long though...

Any thouhts or suggestions...

Thanks,
Daniel

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
Purge the gasoline out of the lines. Don't run the engine on gasoline at all, period. You're outside the factory warranty and gasoline will kill IPs.

Put the feed line in the bucket of fresh diesel, take the line off the IP inlet and put it in an empty jar. Then jump the LP and pump fresh diesel into the lines, purging out the bad fuel into the jar. You may want to use fresh off-road (red) diesel, that way when red starts showing up in the jar you know you have fresh fuel throughout the system.

Reconnect the inlet hose to the IP and turn her over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I also heard from another friend that the lifters could be making noise in the top end and to change the oil and use 1 qt of trans fluid with the motor oil to swell the lifter seals...

My friend who has the truck says that the fuel smells like paint thinner... kind of the way old gas smells...

Looks like they put on a new pump on the truck... hope it hasn;t been damaged...

I'll keep you updated..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts