The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a set of guages (Boost + EGT) for my Silverado but dont know if there are any others I should get. I know EGT and Boost are important, and I have a transmission temperature guage already, are there any othere guages I should think about getting?
Fuel Pressure?
Oil Temperature?
Or anything else?

Thanks for your help to all those who reply. :happymugs

·
188 Posts
I went with EGT and boost. Fuel pressure would be the other one you might want but only if your going with big HP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im only getting egt and boost. Maybe farther down the road ill look into fuel pressure, but you only need that if your gonna run ungodly amouts of hp...like jetmech said

Im lookin into autometer guages, and Im wanting to mount them in the little cubby thinger on my ceiling or down below in the center console. Want the truck to look stock :lurk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fuel Pressure can only be used with an auxillary lift pump. The cp3 draws fuel from the tank, no lift pump like the cr cummins. To read it you would need a vacuum gauge.
Rear diff temp is popular if you are going to tow alot, as well as engine oil temp.

I have the Autometer Cobalt 0-60 boost and 2000* pyro in my truck.
Something to think about - Stock boost is only 20psi, stock IHI charger will only safely put out around 30psi without overspeeding. If you plan a charger upgrade, take that into consideration when purchasing gauges.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel Pressure can only be used with an auxillary lift pump. The cp3 draws fuel from the tank, no lift pump like the cr cummins. To read it you would need a vacuum gauge.
Rear diff temp is popular if you are going to tow alot, as well as engine oil temp.

I have the Autometer Cobalt 0-60 boost and 2000* pyro in my truck.
Something to think about - Stock boost is only 20psi, stock IHI charger will only safely put out around 30psi without overspeeding. If you plan a charger upgrade, take that into consideration when purchasing gauges.
I have seen a few truck at drag races and sled pulls with fuel pressure guages on the actual fuel rail itself. Thats what I was leaning towards.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
If I was you I would get a tranny gauge I know you said you had but I am guessing you are talking about the stock tranny gauge. On my 02 PSD the stock tranny wasn't worth a crap the tranny had to be smokin hot before it would even move.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I was you I would get a tranny gauge I know you said you had but I am guessing you are talking about the stock tranny gauge. On my 02 PSD the stock tranny wasn't worth a crap the tranny had to be smokin hot before it would even move.
You mean have 2 gauges? Or remove the stocker for an aftermarket one?

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
just have two that what I did. When got hot my stock gauge didn't even move till the tranny was about 210

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fords trans gauges are junk. Before this forum got jacked I had a thread about gm trans gauge and multiple people said they are fine and have had no problem.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
The stock trans guage is fine for a stock block. Once you get above 600RWHP its time to get a more accurate guage for the trans.

I run ISSPRO Boost and Pyro on my truck and love the fast reactions of them. Next up is a rail pressure guage after I get a lift pump so I can monitor if I am drying out the rail.

Reactions: merlin5577

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
well thats cool I didn't know if the GM one was any better than the ford one :thumbsup

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen a few truck at drag races and sled pulls with fuel pressure guages on the actual fuel rail itself. Thats what I was leaning towards.
Like horsehaulin said, that is a rail pressure gauge.
Just an fyi, they need to read up around 30,000psi (stock LB7 cp3 is good for 24,000psi) so a regular fuel pressure gauge will not work.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about oil temperature?

Are any other guages recommended?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oil Temp can be used to monitor oil breakdown, especially while towing. Also could use it in the rear diff, like I mentioned earlier. Some will put in an air pressure gauge if you have airbags.

I have the boost and pyro on the pillar and I will put a fuel pressure gauge on my truck when I put the lift pump on. I also plan either an oil pressure or oil temp and put them in the Trippin overhead mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts