The Diesel Garage banner

Gauge install questions

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  POWER STROKE 99 
#1 ·
I'm about to install four gauges and would like some info on where to tap into the system for readings. I will be installing a electrical fuel pressure, electrical oil pressure, pyro, and boost. I thought I saw a forum on this, but can not find it. I would appreciate any and all info.

#3 ·
I finally found the install artical I was looking for, but it does not have any info on the fuel pressure or oil pressure. Any info would be great.

#4 ·
POWER STROKE 99 said:
I'm about to install four gauges and would like some info on where to tap into the system for readings. I will be installing a electrical fuel pressure, electrical oil pressure, pyro, and boost. I thought I saw a forum on this, but can not find it. I would appreciate any and all info.

Here are some pic's that should help...

First too are the fuel pressure location, there is a plugged port down there.

Next two are two locations you can hit for oil pressure. I use one by the oil filter for my oil temp, and the one on top of the HPOR for my oil pressure.

Next is two for the Pyro. You can drill and clamp the up pipe or drill and tap the manifold... Both work fine.

The last one is a pic of the Map line... you can tap there for a boost referance or drill and tap the Y pipe.

Attachments

#5 ·
Didnt knotice if you had a late or early 99 but you can also delete the intake air heater and get a boost referance there too.

Attachments

#6 ·
OK, got the gauges installed except for connecting the fuel pressure sender, because the fitting never came and I could not wait any longer, did not get the pod painted for the same reason.

This is what I got for readings when I travel from WV to MD to see my sis, oil pressure read 50psi when driving and 20psi when idling, pryo climbi=ed as high as 950 climbing the hills, but came down quickly when going down or coming to a stop, boost climbed pretty quick to about 15psi if I was gettin into it, and around 8psi climbing the hills.

Does the oil pressure seem low?

#7 ·
No, the oil pressure does not sound too low. It should prolly climb a little higher as you get it to it some more. Since you were only hitting about 15 psi of boost, thats should be in the range for oil pressure. You can always shim it and get it up some. I think 68-72 is ideal for a pretty much stock 7.3 with not too many mods. That will change as you start changing things. But, 50-60 should be fine. Your boost should climb to anywhere between 21-24 on a stock set up, with the higher end of the range harder to hit without the help of some sort of power adder. Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Logan said:
No, the oil pressure does not sound too low. It should prolly climb a little higher as you get it to it some more. Since you were only hitting about 15 psi of boost, thats should be in the range for oil pressure. You can always shim it and get it up some. I think 68-72 is ideal for a pretty much stock 7.3 with not too many mods. That will change as you start changing things. But, 50-60 should be fine. Your boost should climb to anywhere between 21-24 on a stock set up, with the higher end of the range harder to hit without the help of some sort of power adder. Hope this helps.

I am assuming you are talking about shimming for fuel pressure? There is no way to shim for "oil pressure". OP is talking about OIL pressure not fuel pressure. Anything from 15-50 is fine. It will change will oil age and temp.

everything else looks great.:Thumbup:

#9 ·
thanks, Should I shimm the fuel? I have not gottin it hooked up yet, so I do not have any clue on the pressure.

#10 ·
Get it hooked up and see what its doing. Anywhere from 50-70 is good. The higher number being better.

#11 ·
Fuel pressure is running around 65psi.

I also included a few pics.:Thumbup:

Attachments

#13 ·
No problem. :Thumbup:

#15 ·
What's that supposed to mean...............you don't like blue......lol. Just kidding :thanks: for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.