The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts referring to the gear rollover noise that you get when having a single mass flywheel. Could someone describe just what this sounds like? The truck I just got has an SMF in it and I want to know how much of my noises can be attributed to having an SMF. There are other noises as well, like a rattling downpipe, and stupid super-swampers, not to mention I have not drivin an IDI before today so am unfamiliar with the specific sounds of the IDI. Just trying to get to know it a little.

So my main question is what does the gearnoise with an SMF sound like, and how loud is that usually.

Thanks.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
In mine it was always a kind of a ratteling grinding sound at low rpms. Pretty much whenever you lugged it. It wasnt real loud but super annoying to me anyway.

·
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In mine it was always a kind of a ratteling grinding sound at low rpms. Pretty much whenever you lugged it. It wasnt real loud but super annoying to me anyway.
I think I know exactly what noise you are talking about... So I think the worst of the noise is the exhaust pipe rattling.

If the gear noise is just what you're saying, I can put up with that.

Also, I see you have a 5 speed with 4.10's and a 12 valve.... I plan to put in a 12 valve and do have 4.10's myself... What do you think of that gearing, what size tires are you running with that, and does it seem to be a good match?

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
410s are way to low for me. My stupid trucks down agian and this weather keeps me from finishing it up. I plan on having a gear shop put 355s in some time this spring. I run 255/85 tires and I'm running a little over [email protected] 2k rpm. We have a 94 powerstroke with 355s and it runs a hair under 70 at 2k rpm with 235 tires. It handels them okay for a stock 7.3 so I figure my 12v should be a good match for them. I suppose a 6 speed tranny would help too, if I hadnt have found a used adapter plate for a zf5 I might of tried a 6 speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts